Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by travelberlin: Lovely crossing with the Liberty of the Seas

travelberlin

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

Transatlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on Liberty of the Seas

This was my sixth time with a Royal Caribbean ship. We have cruised twice with the Mariner, twice with the Navigator and once with the Oasis.

The Liberty of the Seas is a beautiful ship which features among others a promenade, minigolf, flow rider, basketball court and golf simulator. There were plenty of possibilities for entertainment during sea days. The ice skating show was very beautiful. The enrichment lectures were fine, but a little superficial in relation to the ports we were going to visit.

Passengers were mainly from USA, polite and friendly. There were also about 300 Germans on board and taken this into account there were special activities for Germans, for example a celebration of Oktober Fest and one lunch with German specialties.

Embarkation in Barcelona was fine. Our cabins were available at around 13.00. My cabin was an outside cabin. It was well appointed and More confortable. My cabin attendent was polite and efficient.

Since I am a diamond member, I participated every evening from the free social Event. This was very nice with absolutely friendly waiters. I have realized that many diamond plus members also came to the diamond lounge instead of going to their own venue. I wonder why. The diamond lounge was of course always full. In anycase it was not possible for us diamond members to go to the diamond plus event.

Food at the main dining room was very good. I have also enjoyed the buffet restaurant. Unfortunately there are not many options for eating healthier food. It would be nice if we could get more grilled fish, chicken or minute steaks at lunch and dinner time. It would also be good if there were more healthy carbs options like brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, etc.

The officers and crew members made a good impression to us. The Captain was from Norway and he and his crew took us with confidence to our destination port Fort Lauderdale. I have enjoyed that the ship never made the impression of being in a hurry. Cruise speed was maybe an average of 18 knots per hour, which several passengers pointed out that made the crossing confortable.

Our ports of call were St. Maarten , San Juan de Puerto Rico and Nassau. Between Barcelona and our first port of call St. Maarten, there were 9 sea days. Altough I love sea days, I have found this a little too long. It would be good if Royal would make another port of call in between, for example in Madeira. We did inmigration twice. One in San Juan and one in Fort Lauderdale. The most remarkable one was in San Juan, because we had to stay in a long queueto haveour documents reviewed. The ship called us at 6.30 for the inmigration procedure for those who were doing ships excursions and in my case I have stayed until 8.30 on that queue. Many of us were not able to have breakfast before living for our excursion. It would be good if the buffet restaurant could open on that day at 6.00 instead of 6.30. In such a way we would be able to have breakfast before going to have our documents checked.

I also believe, that Royal should improve the venue in which the next cruise consultants perform their duties. This venue was a place next to the caffee lounge and it was extremely loud. The travel consultants did a good job, but their working conditions need for sure improvement. Also for us passengers, it was hard just to sit there for a half an hour, so imagine a whole day like the next cruise consultants do.

In summary,I had a very good time. I like the Liberty of the Seas. It has become one of my favorite ships and I will be looking forward to sailing with it again. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>