Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by ginjale50: Going back in time

Going back in time

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

I have loved cruising and this was my last family cruise. I had talked my son and his friend into going on this trip as they didn't need passports. Big mistake, there were a few young people in the 18-22 year age group. The rest of this cruise was filled with very elderly people, and the very young families, who have no regard for other passengers.

I have done a cruise with carnival spirit, and as much as it was filled with children with no parental attendance, it would have been a much better option for my son and his friend, as there were many people of their age also.

As for myself and my daughter, I am 51, daughter 13. So very few people in our age groups. So disappointed.

Firstly, the rhapsody reminded me of my first cruise on the pacific sun, lacking so much, and almost ready to be put to pasture. You might think Im a complainer, to a degree yes, but this was my 5th cruise, and I felt like I stepped back to the old p and o.

I have, by the way, More sailed on the radiance for a 12 night cruise to the south pacific, and we loved it! The radiance of the seas leaves rhapsody for dead, Im afraid. It appears Australia only gets the ships America rejects, for a certain time in Australia, because when you watch the tv supplied in your cabin, it flogs the facilities and amenities on ships that make your head spin! Why cant one of them come here, but then again, if Royal come here and grab our money, then go home, and we have to continually change to US dollars for the privilege of sailing on them, when at least Carnival spirit use Aus dollars onboard, don't bother! Yes they bought Voyager over, but again US dollars onboard.

There is an old saying about cruises, and that is that they are for the "overfed, newly wed and nearly dead" and I never thought I would agree with that comment, but I do now. I have so much compassion for the elderly and they make up a big part of my life on a daily basis, but I cant understand how they enjoy cruising, when they are unable to take stairs and spend a big part of the day waiting for lifts, music is so loud, kids running etc.

As for the overfed part, that is so true also. My daughter and I ate more out of boredom than we ever have in our lives. The activities were so boring and repeated daily, and heaven help if you wanted to stay onboard and not do a shore excursion (not us, we were glad to get off), as there was absolutely nothing, not even a movie you could see if you stayed onboard.

I think boredom plays a big part in the experience on rhapsody, we don't eat breakfast, but I would go near the buffet, and see people eating themselves silly, it would be closed for about an hour or so, then the same people would be lined up for lunch!!

I paid a lot for a suite, and the concierge was not interested, because I did not go to the lounge for the free drinks, as I have my daughter to consider. I saw the concierge once, he was not wanting to know me, because all he cares about are the extra tips. Having a suite is of no benefit unless you go to that lounge, but I am capable of booking my own shore tours, waiting on a queue like the ordinary folk. So my advice is unless you want to feel like a celebrity, we went to the gold card reserved theatre part just to get a good seat, and the folk with the bling couldn't even have the decency to clap for the entertainers. By the way, we clapped, but that was the worst entertainment I have ever had on a cruise. Fifth one, remember!

I could have spent the money on a full on overseas family trip, which I will next time.

The dining room food was lovely. Royal caribbeans best assets, which goes for all the 5 cruises I have been on, are their hardworking staff. Our room attendant was Arthur, he was beautiful.

That is all I can say. Don't waste your money on these ships, fly overseas and go on one of royals unbelievable ships from Florida, wish I had done that! Less

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>