Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Trvlr37

Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: Trvlr37
Cruise Date: November 2013
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Disappointing Liberty Cruise

We've sailed Royal Caribbean several times. Overall, we had a good cruise, but several "little things" were lacking.

We were informed to arrive at the pier later and did so - we arrived around 12:40 p.m. and were whisked on board by 1:30 p.m. - very smooth embarkation. We were able to go straight to our Junior Suite cabin and, upon entry, the cabin was beautiful. I was thrilled to have a coffee/tea maker and large bath tub as well as a walk-in closet. I had looked forward to these things and was excited to have booked a Junior Suite. I am sorry to report that our water pressure was not good all week (choice of trickle cool water or scalding hot with pressure) and the coffee they provided (3-cup filter packs) did not fit the coffee machine provided in our room 1-cup coffee maker, so we couldn't use the coffee pot, either. Our cabin steward worked hard to make things right, despite the inconveniences.

Pros:

-Very pretty ship and kept very clean.

-Staff were pleasant and all worked hard.

-We liked Labadee and Falmouth ports. Labadee is a lovely beach day if you enjoy the beach. In Jamaica, we shopped around the newly-built port in Falmouth and enjoyed seeing everything. It will be even nicer once they build the pool at Margaritaville as there aren't many beaches nearby. We also thought the shore trips for Jamaica were expensive.

-Love the walk-in closet in our Junior Suite.

-Johnny Rockets and Chops were enjoyable.

Cons:

-Buffet/food times seemed shorter. Buffet closed at 9:00 p.m. leaving only pizza til 1:00 a.m. and Promenade Cafe 24 hours. That also means no iced tea/flavored water that we could find after 9:00 p.m. Free drinks (iced tea, lemonade, flavored water) were also very watered down and had nearly no flavor at all. We had a hard time finding meat at the buffet one afternoon other than hot dogs and hamburgers (we did find some lunchmeat and some pieces of chicken in tomato sauce). Even the pizza was mostly vegetable and just cheese. Overall food seemed to have much less variety.

-Charges for room service between Midnight and 5:00 a.m. (buffet is closed).

-No chocolates on the pillow at night (this has been for quite a few RCCL cruises, but I still missed it).

-Only late-night shows were first and last night of the cruise - we would have enjoyed a late-night comedy show sometime other than first and last night.

-Pool towel service is no longer provided in staterooms or at the gangway - you have to go to the pool deck to get and exchange pool towels (inconvenient when leaving ship on Deck 1).

-We were told that robes are no longer provided (we had a Junior Suite and are Diamond members) - I had thought that robes were a Diamond (if not a Junior Suite) benefit? I did get robes after I requested them, however.

- Crown and Anchor coupons are now electronic and are supposed to be "on your card." We tried to use the buy 1 get 1 drink for 50% off and they told me it wasn't available on my card. ??? I guess I wasn't supposed to notice...but they did honor it on my spouse's card.

-We booked a late-morning snorkeling shore tour in Labadee and walked off the ship to the end of the pier with all our snorkel gear only to be told our tour was cancelled. It would have been nice to have been informed our tour was cancelled either by phone message or via sign at the gangway so we didn't have to haul all our gear off the ship and to the end of the pier.

-Disembarkation was probably one of the worst ever. We were not recognized as Diamond Members for priority disembarkation. We had a tag that was supposed to be called between 8:50 and 9:15. Our number wasn't called until after 11:15 a.m. We disembarked from Deck 1 where they were unloading garbage off the ship (used paint cans, etc.). My last glimpse of the ship was of garbage.

I want to note that we still had a nice time despite the above inconveniences. However, it simply wasn't our best cruise.

Publication Date: 12/04/13