Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by spartyfan87: Beautiful ship, fair to mediocre service.

spartyfan87
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Beautiful ship, fair to mediocre service.

Sail Date: November 2013

Sailed 5 days on Liberty of the Seas last week. Overall a good time, but I feel compelled to review this vacation, because I was shocked at so many differences between this experience in my last cruises on RCCL Explorer of the Seas and Sovereign of the Seas. I wanted to blame it on the pre-paid gratuities. But, I prepaid gratuities on Sovereign and don't remember shoddy service.

Our cabin steward was nice enough, but there were no special touches. My husband's travel iron was confiscated (his fault entirely) so he had to have his suit pressed on the first day, so he could have it for formal night the next. We were promised it would be there next day, by mid afternoon. When it wasn't there by 3, we kept calling to check and they promised by 5. Not there by 5. We didn't get his suit until 5:30. I tell you this, to beware if something like this happens to you.

The waiters throughout the ship just weren't attentive. In the Schooner bar, I had to go to the bar to get a More drink more than once. One morning at the pool bar, the bartender appeared hungover and didn't even talk to the guests she ended up running to the back room, she obviously was sick and should not have been working. We did pre-paid beverages and the waitstaff occasionally rolled their eyes. Several times we were given receipts, to add extra gratuities, which made me think the ones who didn't were just irritated. I was irritated that I was being asked to tip extra.

The Windjammer was packed all the time and the food was not very good. The line for sushi on the one night we ate dinner in that dining room was a joke - 50 people long for about an hour. Our best service was in the My Time Dining room. Our waiter was very nice and was the only person in 5 days to really make us feel valued as guests.

The most disappointing part of the cruise was the tender operation in Belize City. It makes me never want to cruise to a port where you have to tender. We didn't purchase a shore excursion though RCCL, since all the ones we wanted were booked. It took us an hour and a half to disembark the ship. Many people missed their excursions. The staff was not helpful at all and blamed in on the tender company in Belize City. Sorry, not a good excuse.

On a positive note, our kids had a great time. They attended the teen event the first night and made friends. We never saw them after dinner each night, they had a wonderful time making friends and hanging out all throughout the ship. They did not care for the organized activities (13 and 17), but appreciated the "forced" meet up the first night.

Our disembarkation from the ship was a breeze. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cave-Tubing Adventure

(5)

I would give the guy a 5, but his van broke down on the return to the port and we were 30 minutes away from missing the last tender. I was very happy with the tour and our entire family LOVED the cave tubing. Highly recommend.

Snorkeling

(5)

We liked snorkeling. Our tour guide took us to 3 different spots. It was fun, except at one of the locations there were tons of jellyfish and we all got stung about 20 times! These little jellyfish were like bees stinging us. We negotiated $100 for 3 of us, included beer, water and soda.