Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by spartyfan87

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by spartyfan87
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: spartyfan87
Cruise Date: November 2013
Public Rooms 5+
        13-15 3.0
        16+ 3.0

Beautiful ship, fair to mediocre service.

Sailed 5 days on Liberty of the Seas last week. Overall a good time, but I feel compelled to review this vacation, because I was shocked at so many differences between this experience in my last cruises on RCCL Explorer of the Seas and Sovereign of the Seas. I wanted to blame it on the pre-paid gratuities. But, I prepaid gratuities on Sovereign and don't remember shoddy service.

Our cabin steward was nice enough, but there were no special touches. My husband's travel iron was confiscated (his fault entirely) so he had to have his suit pressed on the first day, so he could have it for formal night the next. We were promised it would be there next day, by mid afternoon. When it wasn't there by 3, we kept calling to check and they promised by 5. Not there by 5. We didn't get his suit until 5:30. I tell you this, to beware if something like this happens to you.

The waiters throughout the ship just weren't attentive. In the Schooner bar, I had to go to the bar to get a drink more than once. One morning at the pool bar, the bartender appeared hungover and didn't even talk to the guests she ended up running to the back room, she obviously was sick and should not have been working. We did pre-paid beverages and the waitstaff occasionally rolled their eyes. Several times we were given receipts, to add extra gratuities, which made me think the ones who didn't were just irritated. I was irritated that I was being asked to tip extra.

The Windjammer was packed all the time and the food was not very good. The line for sushi on the one night we ate dinner in that dining room was a joke - 50 people long for about an hour. Our best service was in the My Time Dining room. Our waiter was very nice and was the only person in 5 days to really make us feel valued as guests.

The most disappointing part of the cruise was the tender operation in Belize City. It makes me never want to cruise to a port where you have to tender. We didn't purchase a shore excursion though RCCL, since all the ones we wanted were booked. It took us an hour and a half to disembark the ship. Many people missed their excursions. The staff was not helpful at all and blamed in on the tender company in Belize City. Sorry, not a good excuse.

On a positive note, our kids had a great time. They attended the teen event the first night and made friends. We never saw them after dinner each night, they had a wonderful time making friends and hanging out all throughout the ship. They did not care for the organized activities (13 and 17), but appreciated the "forced" meet up the first night.

Our disembarkation from the ship was a breeze.

Publication Date: 12/04/13