Pride of America Cruise Review by azzure

Member Name: azzure
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Honolulu
Destination: Hawaii

Back to Hawaii after 45 years!

My sis and I booked this trip because we last went to Hawaii when we were kids, with our parents. We spent three days pre-voyage in Honolulu and were very shocked at what a big city it has become. Visited the Polynesian Cultural Center and Arizona Memorial, Waikiki Beach etc.

Then on Saturday Nov 16 we joined our Pride of America cruise. Our entire trip was arranged through Costco Travel, and it was nice not having to worry about transfers etc. Our hotel to ship transfer got us to the pier at 1 PM, but the lines were much worse than I had expected, and it took more than an hour to board. And we were all handed letters warning us that the previous cruise had experienced higher-than-normal levels of NoroVirus...not too comforting.

When we finally boarded our cabin was not ready, so we went as advised to the Aloha Cafe to get some lunch. That was a little frightening; it was a mob scene since so many were moving around with pieces of luggage, and the tables all needed disinfecting because of the virus threat.

Finally, we were able to get to our cabin at about 3 PM. The cabin was very small, as expected, but contained many convenient cubbyholes so we had no problems stowing our stuff. I have owned a sailboat and am impressed by the ingenuity of folks who design small spaces on boats!!

PORT AND SHORE EXCURSIONS: Booked three excursions with Roberts: Heavenly Hana on Maui, Volcano National Park on Hawaii, and Movie Tour on Kauai. If I had it to do over again, I would book tours that didn't last all day. The tours were fine, but we regretted not having more leisure time on the ship. The days we relaxed on board, or in the port towns, were the ones we enjoyed most.

SERVICE/DINING: Don't understand the comments about unfriendly staff. We were uniformly treated well by friendly staff members (especially Paloma and Erin in Skyline). I think it depends on your attitude; no one appreciates being treated like a servant. We tended to dine mostly in the sit-down restaurants, especially Skyline, because we didn't like the chaos in the Aloha Cafe unless we were in a hurry to disembark for an excursion. Portions were fine and the food was good, though I don't think I ever had anything that made me say "Oh wow", except perhaps the steak and lobster the first night.

ENTERTAINMENT: Enjoyed the Four Seasons tribute and the Salute to Hollywood Musicals. The crew show was good too; though a little uneven...the guy who sang opera was very impressive.

DISEMBARKATION: Easy-peasy, we just rolled our own luggage off and met the airport shuttle that awaited us. (Not much good to say about Hawaiian Airlines, however).

SUMMARY: We had a very good time. I think we tried to squeeze a bit too much into the trip, so it was not as relaxing as it should have been. REALLY enjoyed the fine beach (Kalapaki?) in front of the Marriott in Lihue!!

Publication Date: 12/03/13