Sun Princess Cruise Review by the northern misfit: To young too cruise....

the northern misfit
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Sun Princess Australia & New Zealand Cruises

To young too cruise....

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

Selecting this cruse was a mistake I’ll never make again… Let me attempt to explain. Firstly this 14 day cruse was in fact one and a bit cruses put together. I boarded in Sydney on the 11th Nov and after sailing to the northern most port of this cruise we sailed back to Sydney. About 300 passengers from this cruse remained on board and having been joined by new passengers for the next cruse we sailed for New Zealand. I must confess to being well and truly ready to get off in Auckland. My mistake was selecting a cruse that initially remained in Australia and returning its port of embarkation. The fact that this cruse was up the coast and back must be have been very comforting and less stressful for the elderly and infirmed. I can only imagine all these loving sons and daughters having checked these oldies in waving cheerfully. Now they are someone else’s problem for the next 10 days……The average age on this cruse was somewhere between 78 and 1000. More  toward the end of the cruse many passengers appeared to becoming understandably frustrated and a little less tolerant of all those walking frames and large electric ride on machines that caused everyone else to make constant allowances. Having returned to Sydney for the commencement of the next cruse around New Zealand, the passenger demographic change was startlingly obvious. The average age had dropped down to around 57 and walking around the ship suddenly became a breeze. Ok, so that was my first mistake….

Next time I’ll stick with world cruse legs.

My next mistake was opting for the princess transport from Sydney international airport to the ship. It cost about $75.00 per person… Take a cab….I was met by the cruse representative and we waited until or group was big enough before being escorted to a coffee lounge area within the terminal … We then waited waited and waited some more. It took longer to travel across from Auckland to Sydney than it took to be bussed to the ship. The excuses just kept coming, traffic, weather, it’s Sunday……… It was nothing more than a cost saving exercise. I can appreciate this but come on, 3 hours to travel 16 kilometres… This is totally unacceptable.

As so many others will tell you the lower authority level crew are incredibly helpful and cant be faulted however I did notice the higher up the food chain you go the more arrogant the staff become…Casino cashier and pursers office staff are doing you a real favour by even acknowledging you at the counter…. The male casino cashier is rather good at grunting and three syllable conversations.

Everything else about this cruse was what I’ve come to expect with the special exception of the cruise director… What an embarrassment to Princess…. This flabby bald gay man was totally pathetic and his attempt at humour left most people laughing at him… So very sad how some people end up…

Food… As we have come to expect, rather yummy. Stirling steak house- Don’t even bother.

My final little itch is with the constant touting for the passenger dollar, try being a little more subtle Photos to Coffee cards. Give it a rest…… Less

Read more Sun Princess cruise reviews >>