Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by Mrbp1: Grumpy Staff - Problems Every Day

Grumpy Staff - Problems Every Day

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

This review was for the back to back transatlantic cruises November 3 - November 24, 2013.

I have traveled several times with Royal Caribbean as well as six other cruise lines but this cruise was the worst for grumpy staff, maintenance issues, poor service, poor quality of food, and staff that had no clue on how to perform their basic duties. However, there were some outstanding individuals that always went above and beyond what was their job. Those individuals were Mikhail and Jaime table 318 in the main dining room, Carlo Bangkas - server in My Time Dining and Windjammer, and No No - Maitre d' in My Time Dining. Each one of them always had a smile on their face and were willing to solve any problem. They gave over 100% ever single day. Royal should be proud of these individuals.

The cruise overall was just okay but one had to deal with issues on a daily basis that really took away from the cruise experience. Some of these issues are as follows:

1. Ran out More of Diet Coke for the final 4 days of the cruise at several bars, Windjammer and at the Diamond and Concierge lounge. When asked when Diet Coke would be available the staff would just shrug their shoulder and tell you to try another bar. I finally had a supervisor go get me a Diet Coke as I was in the Windjammer (deck 11) and I had enough of searching for my drink that I had paid for in the drink package. The supervisor had to go to deck 3 before Diet Coke could be found. This is not acceptable.

2. Internet connection was so slow it took over 6 minutes at 75 cents a minute to connect in. No one from Royal around to help anyone with their connection problems. I did help several people as some of the computers were not working. I finally went to Guest Services and explained the problem and asked for a full refund. No problem was the answer but upon checking my bill Guest Services only gave me credit for the unused internet.

3. I received an invitation to a top tier Crown and Anchor event. However, upon arriving at the venue I was refused entry! The staff was down right nasty and rude stating that I did not belong at that event and to leave. The next day I received another invite to another top tier Crown and Anchor event for 2:30 pm that day. However, I only received that invite at noon and I was off the ship as it was a port day. Furthermore, I then received a letter apologizing for the problems with the top tier event and to come on down at 2:30 pm the next day. I did not bother at that point as the staff had treated me so rudely that I just did not feel like Royal really cared about this customer.

4. I went into the General Store and prices on the liquor were not displayed. Upon speaking with a supervisor as to how one finds out what the price is I was told to go ask the guy behind the counter as they were doing a reset. Keep in mind that this store was closed the first week of the cruise and that prices never did appear for the rest of the cruise. The supervisor was also very rude and said go call Royal as it is not his problem.

5. The majority of the staff appeared as if they just did not want to be on this cruise ship. Several passengers that I talked to stated the same thing. The big joke on the ship was ask for something three times before you will get an answer other then a NO!

6. I did go to Sabatini's specialty restaurant and was highly disappointed. The dinner took over three hours and the service was not up to standards. Dirty dishes were not cleared for over twenty minutes and my Diet Coke was never refilled. I could make some allowances if they were busy but there were only 4 tables being used. I was not impressed at all.

7. The spa was always running out of towels for the men's and women's locker room. I had to ask several times for a towel and waited one time for over ten minutes.

8. In the men's locker room there are six showers. Out of the six showers, four were broken where the temperature could not be adjusted. This was reported several times by various cruisers. Maintenance did try to do a fix but they never did get it right until the very end of the cruise. There were still two showers that were broken even after fixing them. Also, the showers would not be properly stocked with soap. This was a problem throughout the cruise.

9. I could not disembark the ship on my final day as there was a problem with my account even though I had been down to Guest Services the night before to ensure there were no problems. The problem with my account is that no credit card was on file for the two week cruise even though I had filled out the paperwork for both cruises. This seemed to be a problem for a lot of back to back cruisers in that information was not properly transferred. Upon going back down to the gangway all disembarkation had stopped. After waiting twenty minutes people tried to cut in line several times due to the poor crowd control. Finally I was able to get off the ship and upon arriving at Customs they wanted to know what the hold up was as they have been sitting around not doing a thing for the last twenty minutes. Once again Royal staff had no clue on how to perform their duties.

I was on the Navigator of the Seas in April, for the Transatlantic crossing, and I did not run into these problems at all. The quality of staff on this ship has gone downhill so far that I will not be back on this ship. Keep in mind that I had a good time on the cruise but the problems I encountered is not what I paid for.

I would hope someone from Royal would contact me regarding these problems but I seriously doubt Royal cares about the customer anymore. This is the attitude that I received from the majority of staff. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>