Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by Sarah.

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by Sarah.
Costa Fortuna
Costa Fortuna
Member Name: Sarah.
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
See More About: Costa Fortuna Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Costa Fortuna Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Fortuna Deck Plans
Very Disappointing

As a frequent and enthusiastic Costa client I was extremely disappointed this time.

What was meant to be a romantic getaway turned into a nightmare. Where do I begin....

Well for a start, I'd like to point put that the itinerary was excellent and has been my favourite so far. Visiting both the Baltic cities and the Fjords in a 2 week cruise the stopovers just get better and better, allowing one to make the most of both the history and culture of the cities as well as the breathtaking natural wonders. So again, this review is by no means a reflection of the cruise itinerary.

The ship was awful! Everything on the entire ship was falling apart and tattered. All the decoration was outdated and the furniture in the restaurants was falling apart. The bathrooms on board the ship were all broken, most of which had 2 or more cubicles out of order. The floors were often flooded, the smell was revolting, they were often out of toilet paper, paper towels and soap. Very outrageous! To use a clean toilet you had to return to your cabin.

On entering the cabin, the first thing I noticed was the quantity of broken things; drawers with no handles, the safe, and various bits and pieces in the bathroom like the paper towel holder and the drain in the sink (the parts were actually missing). In addition the cabin appeared to not have been cleaned. The sheets had hairs in them and appeared to not have been changed prior to our entry, there were crumbs on the floor which also hadn't been hoovered, the mirrors in the room and bathroom were greasy and dirty and the sofa was so full of dust that it stained my trousers when I sat on it. The TV as covered in dust as well. Also, the shower had some unidentifiable residue in it and had obviously not been washed either. As if all this wasn't enough, the cabin window (which we had paid extra to have) was so filthy that we could hardly see through it!

Although upon complaint housekeeping arrived to clean, a lot of the broken things remained broken throughout the duration of the cruise. When I asked to speak with a manager in customer services on board they told me that all complaints were to be submitted online. I found the customer services and housekeeping staff's attitude highly dismissive and unsatisfactory considering the state of the cabin. When I told the housekeeping manager that everything in the room was old and broken he simply replied that the whole ship was old and the only thing that mattered was that the cabin was now clean. They offered no complements or compensation.

Finally the drinks package, by far the most ridiculous policy ever devised. Me and my partner had paid like €10 per day for drinks. These drinks are almost impossible to get hold of. So you can only have a glass of water at a time which must be consumed on the spot. At lunch you have like 2 hours to order drinks in any restaurant aboard, at dinner however, you can only drink in 1 restaurant and if you choose to eat at the buffet instead you can go thirsty. Unfortunately for me I came down with a severe kidney infection and high temperature during my cruise and it was a constant battle to obtain a bottle of water down in the cabin. The waitressing staff insisted that it had to be bought- in spite of our drinks package.

Publication Date: 12/03/13