Westerdam Cruise Review by Dbrown50: Relaxing vacation

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Westerdam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Relaxing vacation

Sail Date: November 2013

The weather was perfect, although we had rough seas a couple of times, nothing extreme. I enjoyed the serenity, and the older crowd! We had open seating and requested tables of 6 or 8; enjoyed meeting other couples. Our room was just below the Lodo deck, quiet and lovely. The staff were amazing! We enjoyed all the ports, didn't buy any excursions, went to the beach at Turks and Caicos, and st Marten; walked around old San Juan. Half Moon Cay was incredible, sand like soft flour.

I had a restricted diet, gluten dairy and egg free, and they accommodated that with ease. We ate at the Pinnacle and the special Italien restaurants, both were well worth the extra money. The entertainment was very good, better than I expected. Loved the B B King blues night. Their dancers and singers were top notch professional. My only complaint was the sound quality, and that was attributed partly to their sound engineer, who appeared to be not always on his toes. Their 'Liars' game in the Queens More Lounge had me laughing hard, then on to the comedy night. My sides were sore after that night!

The cruise director brought a sense of thoughtfulness and sensitivity to the events, notably with the typhoon in the Philippines affecting their Filipino staff; and with a delightful young woman with Downs Syndrome who participated in the Dancing with the Stars night. She danced well, had a standing ovation and won a prize - undoubtedly a memory she will treasure.

The typhoon brought a sombreness to the night the Filipino staff performed their traditional dances, but they performed well, and again had a standing ovation. I attribute the cruise director with his sensitivity to make these events memorable and touching. Well done.

I loved the size of this ship, 1800 people, and 800 staff. You could be as involved as you wanted or as relaxed as you choose. The food was very good! Lovely touches like 5-6 different kinds of black tea catering to all cultures! The fruit was excellent, gluten free breads and pastas were good, sushi was good, and the service always excellent. At no time did I feel rushed or stressed. We came away rested and truly pampered! Thanks Holland America!! Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>