Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Boompa153

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Boompa153
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: Boompa153
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

NCL Breakaway - I'm sorry RCCL for cheating on you.

I've taken 3 cruises before with RCCL and made the mistake of booking with NCL to experience their new ship 'Breakaway'. First let me say the ship was just OK. Rooms were small compared to cabins in the same price range on RCL ships. My wife and I had a mini suite, but as the from the starf of our adventure NCL's service was awful. I later came to realize after a few days into our cruise, that if you aren't part of the 'Haven' class passengers, then you are relegated and treated like a second class citizen. You won't believe it.

Staff pros

1) None

Staff Cons

1) Had transfer vouchers to take us from the hotel to the ship. After they loaded us along with other passenger in their van and stowed our luggage, the van was packed. They then had 4 more passengers to add and there was no room for there luggage, so I sat with a bag on the seat next to me an another on my feet because these poor people had no place to store their luggage in the luggage hold. You would think NCL would knows how many passengers they are transporting and sent a vehicle with capacity to hold all with their luggage. Oh, now one had more than a few pieces of luggage .

2) When we got to or suite, we were pleasantly surprise to find a gift of a bottle of Merlot and chocolate covered strawberries. The card said it was a gift but didn't say from who. I know I didn't purchase it so I called the front desk and inquired. They told me it was a gift from our travel agent and that they are paid for. You may think that I would have thought it was a nice gesture except we didn't book through a travel agent. We booked online ourselves through the NCL website. (explained in later comments)

3) Our room was missing and room service menu cards that are used to put on your door before you go to bed so that when you get up your morning coffee is knocking at your door. I called the front desk and was told they would contact housekeeping. When no menus were delivered, I called housekeeping myself request menus. They never came. Our first morning since I couldn't pre-order, I called room service for breakfast and was on hold because everybody is calling them for their breakfast room service. We used the one cup coffee maker until I could get room service to deliver a pot of coffee. When I finally got through I ordered and also requested pre-order menus for our room. They said housekeeping would send me some. I told them I went down that road and could they please send some up with our coffee. We were on a 7 day cruise and they sent up 4.

4) After our room was made up for the day we returned to the cabin for an afternoon nap and went to dinner. We left the make up room light on our room so when we returned the room would be freshened up. When we return the bed was made up again, but when we woke up they following morning my wife couldn't take a shower because when they cleaned our room they took the use towels and wash clothes but didn't replace them. I called housekeeping that we had no wash clothes to shower with and the towels weren't replenished. I guess by the tone of my voice, they knew I was pissed and had fresh towels at my door in 10 minutes.

5) While waiting for my towels and room service I decided to make a cup of coffee with the one cup coffee maker. The only problem was that I had no coffee because they didn't replenish the coffee station from yesterday when I had to use it. Now I was really angry and called to complain to which they said they would notify the supervisor of housekeeping.

6) Once I complained, more attention was given to our room. The supervisor called about a day and a half later to apologize and asked if we liked wine and chocolate covered strawberries. I said yes and he asked if we liked red or white wine. I told him white and he said he would like to sent it to our room as an apology. The gift came the next day. He sent a bottle of RED and ONE chocolate covered strawberry for me and my wife. Are you serious?

Wait!!! It gets better

7) When we stopped at their island, we booked a cabana. When you book a cabana, because you spent money for that you get priority tendering to the island. When we went down to disembark for the island they us into a half full theatre of people waiting for the tender to take them to shore. Our ticket showed 'Priority Tender'. When I saw they were making us wait in they long line to get ashore, I approached a crew member and explained we are to get priority tendering. She said that the tenders are large and we would be accommodated in the next tender. I then asked her if that's the case, then what does Priority tendering mean? I told her that we purchased a cabana for the day, but just sat back down and waited our turn. I saw she called someone, and I don't know who she talked to but when she got off the phone, she called me and my wife over and put us directly on the tender. Geez, they don't have a clue.

8) When we got ashore on the island we had a pretty good walk to our cabana. Food was good but the attendants seemed to give us minimal attention compared to those in the cabana next to us. Keep in mind, we paid for the little luxury the same as our cabana neighbors. I started talking with the people in the neighboring cabana and chatted and had a beer with them. That's when I became enlightened. Our neighbors were staying in the 'Haven' class section on the ship. They didn't experience the tendering problem coming ashore and they were shuttled to their cabana where we had to walk it making no difference that we paid for the cabana same as them. So we were made to feel like second class citizens. I shared our experiences with them and they were surprised. They were definitely having ad if fentanyl cruise experience.

Oh!!! When I told them about they mysterious wine and strawberry gift waiting in our room from a travel agent we didn't have, they explained that since we booked online then NCL is the travel agent. You'd think since NCL sends a gift, they would put compliments from NCL on the gift card. Really stupid PR.

Again, I'm sorry RCCL, I'll never stray again.

Publication Date: 12/02/13