Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by steve

Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: a1
Cabin Number: 12059
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

LuxuryOnly.com

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Trans-Atlantic
NOV 18.

I had planned to take the Boat Train, but this was only available to those booking from the USA. My Cousin gave me a lift to the ship and it had been our plan to take some photos of us all (she had been on the old Queen Mary). The farce of embarkation prevented it, there was nowhere to park and it was a case of jumping out (in the hanger) and joining the line. I had been warned by other reviews about this, and everything they said is true. Finally I Boarded.

To say the ship is big would be an understatement. I was remind of the comment made about the old Mary when some one asked "when does this place arrive in New York". The same is true of her! I had been upgraded from Deck 4 to 12 and so had to find a lift which reached that part. I have stayed in some excellent Hotels but they do not compare to the room I had. The facilities were excellent, except that you cannot use the TV to surf the Web. Boat Drill was held in the Kings Court and I was amazed to hear that in the event of abandoning ship we had to go back to the rooms and grab Life Jackets and passports - She is so big though that I could not imagine her sinking - Yes I have heard of Titanic.

Meals

My Stateroom was for the Britannia and I chose the 1st sitting. The food and service was first rate, the only problem was the tendency for large tables! My table had 4 of us most nights but could have seated 10. Personally I would specify a smaller table next time. With hindsight I had chosen the right sitting since by the time 2nd had finished dining and show the Queens Room was full! I had Luncheon in the Todd English for Thanks Giving and would highly recommend it, I avoided the Kings court since it reminded me of a motorway service station. Being Trans Atlantic meant that some of the outdoors facilities only opened towards the end of the voyager, but they too were good.

I have seen shows on Broadway, but they were inferior to those on the ship! the new productions they have are awesome and test both the stage and the actors. The only problems was that some of the balcony seats have a very restricted view (Design Fault). In addition to the official program they also has something called interest corners for independent groups. The formal nights were very dressy and elegant. As a single male it was noticed that although Cunard had male Hosts for the ladies they did not have Lady hosts for the Men.

General comments

The ship is everything the books and people say, she is a very grand 30s Hotel and I could see the Mary everywhere. The staff were first rate and very attentive. I Must admit the Commodore room facing the bow was my favorite Location - The library was too small for just sitting in. Disembarkation was simple except for the usual problems with USA Customs.

Would I go again?

Yes but I would book via the USA. Not only do they have a boat train option but you can use your Airmiles and travel on your favorite Airline.

Publication Date: 01/10/07