Golden Princess Cruise Review by duhmel: Was this a cruise ship or an Indian casino?

duhmel
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Mexican Riviera Cruises

Was this a cruise ship or an Indian casino?

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was my first cruise in 10n years and I was looking forward to dining in nice fashion for 3 days on this cruise. Instead what I received a dining experience that was akin to being at an Indian casino, although this is disparaging the casino. For the first two nights I tried the traditional dining room (Cantaletto) and the drop-in (Berini). Both served the same 'stuff', flung down by overworked waiters. Inedible shrimps, steaks, chops and fish - undercooked and mediocre in taste. The Horizon buffet at least gave you many, many choices to find something that was not disgusting but steam trays of food sitting for hours turns me off.

I was looking forward to lox and bagels for breakfast - not on this ship in the buffet. Instead every meal had 'smoked trout' a dried out smoked fish of some kind. I did find that Berini served 'lox and bagels' for breakfast, although this was unlike any lox that I had ever seen and the bagels must have been purchased from a supermarket frozen More freezer case.

I think I have given the idea - We were so frustrated that on the last night we ponied up $25 per person an huzzah, huzzah finally recieved a good meal - let me take that back, a great meal. Great chops - waoter pushed us to order a second entree to experience the chef's stuff. This is what I had expected. Only a few people in the upscale restaurant - the rest were hogging it down - quantity instead of quality.

No matter where you went on the ship you were being hussled for money. Of course, soft drinks were $8 per day, water was $2.50 per bottle and coffee in the international Cafe was $1.50 (free in the upstairs restaurants). Your refridgerator is stocked with soft drinks and water when you arrive - nowhere is there a sign that says that if you use these items a stiff tab awaits.

I guess that in the 10 years since I last cruised, the experience has dumb-downed substantially. I did not expect formal dining, but the Morongo Casino was not what I paid for. I guess Princess has just morphed into another of the Carnival line ships, with a different name but the same quality. Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>