Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by kandis23

Carnival Sunshine
Member Name: kandis23
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans
See More About: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        3-6 4.0

Ship Facts: Carnival Sunshine Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans
It was just ok...

This was our 3rd cruise and we were really excited to bring our kids aboard, but as my title states it was just, ok. Our children are 3 and 4 and on a positive note they seemed to really enjoy Camp Carnival, they also seemed to enjoy our port visits to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. My husband and I, however, had a different experience.

If at all possible, do not get on this boat without an assigned dining time. We would go up to eat and there would be a long line, to get a buzzer, to wait for even longer. The food wasn't bad, but the dining room service was probably the worst I had ever experienced on a cruise. The waiters were slow and seemed generally unenthused. On a brighter note, the hamburger station was actually pretty good. Out of frustration, we tried to walk in and eat at some of the other restaurants but were turned away and it was suggested that we call a day in advanced. Really? When there were many visibly empty tables? Generally, when it came to dining no one went out of there way to make us feel special.

Also, even though we were traveling with 2 kids (3 and 4) we were charged gratuities for them. After we complained about it they removed the charges, but I wonder how many people are being overcharged because they don't say anything.

One of the best parts about our on board cruise experience was our housekeeping staff. They kept everything clean and were probably the most friendly to us. All in all, I had a good time because I was on 'vacation', but not because it was Carnival. I may give Carnival another chance, but never this boat.

And on another random note, the bathrooms in public areas were very small...small like you couldn't close a door without moving your legs to the side....even for my toddler.

Publication Date: 11/28/13
More Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Sunshine review Read the next Carnival Sunshine review

Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review