Disney Dream Cruise Review by TeeChi

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Disney Dream is also for adults

November 21 - 24

Gambee’s review of the Disney Dream sparked my interest and enthusiasm. I big thank you to him for writing a wonderful review and posting pictures.

I’ve sailed several cruise lines (Carnival, NCL and RCCL) but thought the Disney was out of reach due to the pricing. Three weeks ago I went online on a Sunday afternoon and noticed Disney had a Florida Resident special. I quickly placed a 24 hour hold until I could speak with my director about getting the time away from the office. I posted a thread on CC about Disney’s hold policy and the excitement started to build. Monday rolled around and my first Disney cruise was in reach. My first cabin choice was an inside 11A or 11B. I quickly learned for just a few more dollars I could get an assessable cabin 9A which included 2 large port-holes. My Mom would be traveling with me with a mobility scooter.

I faxed and emailed the proof of Florida residency not wanting to miss this opportunity.

Three weeks seemed so far and so near. My Mom and spent the time packing and reading CC.

Living in FL we’ve been to Disney many many times. I’m also a former cast member who completed two internships at Disney while in college.

Nov 20  I could not leave the office fast enough. Everyone seems to have an emergency that required my attention. After leaving work I came home to pick up my dog and dropped him off with a sitter.

Nov 21  My birthday and the first day of the Disney Dream cruise. We were up early and left the house at 8 a.m. for what I thought would be a 3 hour drive. After getting 1 block away I realized I forgot my sunglasses and had to come back home. After starting out again and driving 5-7 miles, my Mom realized she forgot a cell phone and I returned home for the second time. It was now about 8:30 and rush hour traffic was still heavy. We made our way through the bumper to bumper traffic traveling 95 South.

The 3 hours to the port turned out to be close to 5 hours. We stopped at 2 stores for last minute items.

We parked the car at ParkNCruise for $7.99/day. The total cost for a 3 day cruise was $33.

Although the car check-in was efficient, I wasn’t pleased that the lot is gravel and the cars are packed like sardines. The driver was pleasant and assisted us with breaking down the scooter to load on the bus.

Nov 21 ~ 1:00  I really wanted to be onboard by 11:00 but that plan did not take place. The terminal was beautifully decorated with a model of the Disney Wonder. A few characters were also out to take pictures. Check-in was PROMPT and I was pleased. The ship is gorgeous! We were eating at Cabanas on deck 11 by 1:30. Let’s stop and discuss the food " wow!! The lunch buffet beats any cruise buffet I have experienced and this is my 11th cruise. There was fresh peel and eat shrimp (deveined), crab claws, soups, breads, carved meats, etc.

Nov 21  Our accessible cabin (5686) was 204 square feet. Larger than standard balconies on most cruises. The 2 large round port holes were huge. The wave phones were nice to have but we did not use them.

In addition to the queen bed, there was a sleeper sofa and murphy bed. The room was more than adequate for 2 people. Cabin 5686 is very far aft. While unpacking we realized the clothes ironed at home had wrinkles from the packing. We went to the launderette around the corner to press a few items. The laundry room at one ironing board and a number of washers and dryers. The cost of laundry detergent was $1.00. I did not pay attention to the cost of washing and drying. The cabin has plenty of storage  2 closets, 2 nightstands, and a dresser with maybe 3-4 drawers on each side.

Prior to dinner we dropped off 2 items for the characters to sign. My Mom brought an autograph book and I brought a pillow case. Guest Services will only allow 2 items per stateroom.

Nov 21  Dinner time 5:45 p.m. at Animators Palate. Beautiful dining room with mickey chairs and tv screens showing sea life and a talking turtle. People were laughing at the turtle but I could not make out all what was said because I’m deaf. We were originally placed at table 39 (6 top). Four other ladies were there when we arrived. I could tell my Mom and I would not be comfortable sandwiched in between these ladies. Due to my Mom’s scooter we were moved to table 47 (4 top). The food was good but not great. It came out only luke warm. Just before dessert the dining crew came out to sing to me and delivered a chocolate mousse. Wow was it good. I also received a happy birthday button. Around the ship CMs and guests were saying happy birthday to me.

Nov 21  Show time!! The Golden Mickey’s was fantastic. Disney does not hold back on the production shows.

Nov 22  Nassau we did not get off the ship as we’ve been so many times and this place doesn’t excite me. We slept in late  beds so comfortable. We had breakfast at Cabanas and we both loved the Mickey waffles. The bacon is really greasy and I used my napkin to dab off the excess oil. The orange guava juice was outstanding and became my favorite breakfast juice. My mom had an omelet made of egg whites and thought it was delicious. I also saw CMs provide soy milk when asked.

Nov 22  The Buena Vista Theatre is so nice. The concession stand sells popcorn, can soda and candy. We saw Thor which was a good movie. Disney had 4 movies throughout the 3 days some of which had open captioning. Word of caution  this theatre a felt like Chicago in January.

Nov 22  Dinner at Enchanted Garden. I agree with Gambee regarding this dining room looks like a picnic. Elegant picnic that is. So many guests were dressed in pirate attire  including us. Disney gave out bandanas and we brought eye patches with us. My Mom drew a mustache with black eye liner. After eating and using her napkin, her mustache started to fade. Once again the food was luke warm to cold. This time I sent it back and the waiter returned with a hot plate.

It was on the second day that I realized my TTY in the room did not work. Guest Services said someone would come to take a look at it. Which eating the Guest Services Manager, Michelle, arrived with a gentleman to say the TTY had been charged prior to our arrival. I explained the phone outlet is not on the same side of the bed as the wall outlet. Thus, making it impossible to use the TTY that needs a phone jack as well as an adaptor to be plugged in. After dinner an extension cord was brought to the room. This incident with the phone makes me think I’m the first deaf person to request a TTY on the Disney Dream.

Nov 22  Show time #2!! Villains was extraordinary. Another word of caution  the Walt Disney theatre held all three productions shows. The theatre temperature is very warm!!

Nov 22  So many people were on Deck 11 and 12 for the fireworks. We arrived around 9:50 for the 10:30 display. Fireworks Disney style excellent.

Nov 23  Castaway Cay. The moment my Mom and I have both been waiting for. The island is beautiful and filled with activities. Upon debarking the ship there is a nicely decorated Christmas tree. CMs are readily available to distribute beach towels and the shuttles run promptly. We were pleased with Serenity Bay for adults only. We were allowed to park Moms mobility scooter and use the sand wheelchairs. Floats and bikes can be rented for $6.00. The water was cold in November but the weather was pleasant. We ordered two non-alcoholic drinks on the beach for $9.00. Cookies BBQ was great  chicken, ribs, various salads, cookies, ice cream, burgers, hot dogs, and fish upon request. I’m not sure why the Maui Maui was not on the buffet but it was yummy.

Taking the shuttle back, we stopped off at Pelican Point. There are activities for kids  water slides and snorkeling.

After returning to the ship around 3:00, we spent the remainder of the afternoon in the adult whirlpool. I overheard a CM has a young lady her age. When she replied 20, he asked to see her KTTW card. I like it that they are strict. Many cruises let kids run wild in the adult only areas. I wanted to ride the AquaDuck, but the wait was 45 minutes.

Nov 23  Dinner was at the Royale Palace. The CMs uniforms look sharp! Throughout the cruise, CMs we singing happy birthday over and over. There were so many people celebrating birthdays like myself. We also saw several people wearing happy anniversary buttons. At dinner I ordered the thinly sliced sirloin. The flavor was good but the steak was not hot. I’m starting to wonder if the plates are prepared ahead of time and are sitting getting cold while guests finish their appetizers. I also told my Mom maybe we’re serviced based on our table number. The dessert was absolutely wonderful "Grand Marnier Soufflé.

When my Mom did not order dessert, the waiter (Jose) returned with a plate with the word NOTHING written in chocolate. We all had a good laugh.

The last show of the cruise was Believe. I’m all out of adjectives to describe Disney shows.

As promised, our two items were delivered with the characters autographs. My Mom spent the evening the atrium obtaining autographs for another item for my niece.

Nov 24  Finishing up breakfast a man in the elevator stated people look sad. I guess it’s because the cruise was over. People don’t want the magic to end.

Overall We spent lots of time touring the ship and taking pictures. The public restrooms are beautiful.

We found many "hidden Mickey’s. Decks 3 and 4 has lots of windows to see the ocean. There are so many adult only venues such as Pink and Evolution.

Yes.. Adults can have a good time on a Disney Cruise.

Yes..We would do it again

Yes..the shows are all that and a bag of chips

Yes..Castaway Cay is the best private island

Yes..Service is top notch

Yes..we enjoyed the rotational dining

No..the food was not the best taste I’ve had

Publication Date: 12/04/13