Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by drrobg: I want my old Carnival back

drrobg
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Transatlantic Cruises

I want my old Carnival back

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

I want my old Carnival back, I just got off of the Sunshine on it's transatlantic 16 night cruise. In one word HORRIBLE, and I will detail most of the things that went wrong.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, this kept coming to me over and over during the cruise.

I am a platinum member and should be a diamond since I never got credit for the cruises I took on the Marti Gras, and Carnivale in the 1070's and 1980's at least 2x a year so I have more than the requirements for this grade.

The service on this 16 year old refurbished cruise ship was not very helpful towards the passengers, every answer I got was "I sorry" but nothing was done to correct anything I told them aboard ship. From my stateroom 3132 not being cleaned for 5 days, re: vacuumed, mopped floor in bathroom, trash can loaded with trash from the previous cruise. The marketplace, all the stations full of food shades down and staff leaning against the wall waiting until 7:30 while More over 100 guests were waiting for breakfast at 6:30. The staff didn't know what they were serving, I was told over and over again the wrong description of the food at their station. The coffee, and Ice machines constantly broken, I needed to go to the other side of the ship to get coffee or ice, many times. The tiles on deck 3 are cracked and popping up, nothing is being done to repair them.

No place to read a book like in the windows on promenade deck or anywhere else, EXCEPT bars where it isn't like being on a cruise

or the back of the buffet, that has always been open and I could read my books and see the sea, but now it is enclosed and the Havana bar is there.

The entertainment was not what I (and I'm sure many others) liked, since the show room was cut about 3/4 of the seating I guess reviews Vegas type can't be presented.

In the dinning room, when checking in for a table and I would ask for a large table or booth, the automatic response was no not available, but when Elizabeth came over she said put them at a table, and it was what we wanted.

The food is dangerous, all of the hot food was either luke warm or cold, the cold food like Caesar salad was served in warm bowls, I was served duck pot stickers that were very cold, I asked the Maitre d for a kitchen thermometer so I could see the exact temperature, he wouldn't get me one, I think his name was Navash served immediately after the pot stickers were cold kebab, it was ludicrous, this happened all through the cruise, also a little tip, don't let the hot food stay at the waiters station for 30 minutes or more and expect it to be hot, also each night the waiters would give the wrong guest the wrong dish, every night.

The physical ship is in need for a refurbishment, metal ceiling tile in marketplace fell down, didn't hit someone but I guess you were lucky, in handicapped mens room on deck 14 my roommate had a metal tile fall on his head, (this was documented as was the visit to the medical office. There are pods broken on the jumbotron, which was not being used well , most of the time the same still pictures flashing with a scroll on the bottom reminding us that towels will be taken off of lounges in 40 min no saving lounges, oh btw this was never done, I also asked at the customer service desk if there were the traditional news reports that I always got on board, she said no, just tune to channel 33 cnn, well no cnn or any other news source.

I was sitting in the marketplace having lunch and noticed a sign CHOCOLATE EXTRAVAGANZA and saw the chocolate fountain, there was no notice in the ships news nor any announcement over the loud speaker, when I asked the customer service desk I was told that they didn't know it was that day either. The pass passenger cocktail party at 1:30 in the afternoon was ridiculous.

Each night that we needed to change our clocks back one hour, the ships clocks were the wrong time, we the customer service desk was asked to change the ships clock I was told they can't it's controlled by the bridge and the bridge couldn't do it, so much miss information.

The floors in the marketplace were always slippery, nothing done to make them safe.

My room key didn't work a number of times, had to get new ones at least 4 times also had nothing in my pockets to demagnetize them. Also when I boarded the ship, security put my sign and sail card in the machine that took my picture and pinged, when i tried to get off in Malaga the sign and sail card didn't work, so they had to take my picture again, boarding the ship later that day the same thing no picture etc.

At the customer service desk I had to repeat my requests 3 or 4 times to that many people, it got very old and I was getting very frustrated.

At the Tasting station no attention to the passenger the two crew would just stand and talk and ignored me, also there was a tasting for a BBQ place that didn't exist on the Sunshine?

I didn't know lunch was served in the ocean place as with most things I need to walk past at the right time to find out about these places.

I have always been an advocate for Carnival bragging about how great it was, and that is the operative word WAS, now I am sorry to say, it ranks in last place in the cruising industry, I just that is why Mickey Arison resigned as cob, and I'm sure that Ted Arison, whom I cruised with a number of times, is spinning in his grave.

I will end this with the only words I can say that expresses my negative feelings about Carnival:

"I'M SORRY" Less