Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by mew1

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: mew1
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
Gem shines for the third time

This was the first time I booked a last minute, guarantee, just really needed a cruise. Going out of NY was so easy, we live in PA, hoped on a bus then a taxi ride, easy and relaxing. This was my first Platimum cruise so it was very easy checkin, didn't wait long. Had lunch in the Grand Pacific, it was very enjoyable.

Our room was ready as we finished, and it was a nice inside. I have been in every kind of cabin from inside to suites so I knew what to expect. We had no problem finding space for all our things and it was easy location to get out and enjoy the activities. Dinner was in Magenta, and good but we decided GP was more our style. We enjoyed the variety show and look forward to a week of amazing entertainment.

The next day started with our meet and greet, we met some of the staff, they welcomed us, and then a little getting to know the other CC members. After lunch was the latitude party and I continued to hold our hope that I would win a prize, darn empty hands again. We choose to dress up for dress up night and got some fantastic pictures taken that night. Our sea days were filled with many activities, mixed with relax time at our favorite spot the outdoor cafe, so nice outside. I will write about our ports separately in the ports section, but the HIGHLIGHT of our cruise was the amazing SAMANA, wow, the BEST experience of my life. We utilized our time on the ship enjoying amazing meals, learning about art and juggling, swimming in the great pool, walking on deck and getting to know some amazing staffs. You can not talk about a cruise without mentioning the fantastic hard working staff. Our cabin steward Joel was excellent at his job, our room was always ship shape, well stocked, he always greeted us by name and made the best towel animals!!! I was very happy to meet a young girl I had met last cruise on the Gem, Melva Y. from Peru, she is a special lady, with a smile and personality that really shines. She helped my mom who partially blind last time in the buffet and I never got chance to thank her. Now I did and she was so humble and thankful to be noticed. The ship has amazing Staff in Charge, Jenny the Hotel director keeps the crew working together seamlessly. Every dept worked well together because of the family feeling on the ship.

The shows were all amazing, the production numbers were amazing. We had the chance to experience everything from production numbers to juggling, comedy, ariel show, dancing from tap to disco, and singing through the ages, even Opera. Truly the entertainment was top notch and something for everyone. The entertainment continued through the night with dancing in Spinachers to game shows. And let us not forget you have many chances to try to win from Bingo to a full Casino, and of course the pull tabs. As with the latitude party I did not win,,,,anything.

Food was excellent, I never had trouble finding something I liked, and the Salmon was amazing. My favorite dessert was only served one night a lemon ginger custard, I could eat them every night. My favorite meal was at Le Bistro, I love dressing up, going out on a date on the ship and it is such an intimate experience there. I love the Lobster scallops and shrimp dinner. We shared the chocolate dipped fruit dessert. It was a lovely night. We were dressed up from what used to be the Captains Cocktail party. Maybe the only disappointment, I used to love the party, most everyone dressed up and it was sometimes in surprise places like an empty villa. But now it is just a silver, gold and platiumum get together, very informal, very casual, they do serve wine and cheese, you see the staff for a short time. The old day of glamour is over for that party. I do miss the Captains cocktail party

The weather was great except one night I always seem to bring the sunshine for the trips, so the rain didn't ruin any of the cruise. I would say it was another fantastic cruise with NCL.

Publication Date: 11/27/13