Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by mew1: Gem shines for the third time

Member Since 2005
2,662 Posts

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Gem shines for the third time

Sail Date: November 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was the first time I booked a last minute, guarantee, just really needed a cruise. Going out of NY was so easy, we live in PA, hoped on a bus then a taxi ride, easy and relaxing. This was my first Platimum cruise so it was very easy checkin, didn't wait long. Had lunch in the Grand Pacific, it was very enjoyable.

Our room was ready as we finished, and it was a nice inside. I have been in every kind of cabin from inside to suites so I knew what to expect. We had no problem finding space for all our things and it was easy location to get out and enjoy the activities. Dinner was in Magenta, and good but we decided GP was more our style. We enjoyed the variety show and look forward to a week of amazing entertainment.

The next day started with our meet and greet, we met some of the staff, they welcomed us, and then a little getting to know the other CC members. After lunch was the latitude party and I continued to hold our hope that I would win a prize, darn empty More hands again. We choose to dress up for dress up night and got some fantastic pictures taken that night. Our sea days were filled with many activities, mixed with relax time at our favorite spot the outdoor cafe, so nice outside. I will write about our ports separately in the ports section, but the HIGHLIGHT of our cruise was the amazing SAMANA, wow, the BEST experience of my life. We utilized our time on the ship enjoying amazing meals, learning about art and juggling, swimming in the great pool, walking on deck and getting to know some amazing staffs. You can not talk about a cruise without mentioning the fantastic hard working staff. Our cabin steward Joel was excellent at his job, our room was always ship shape, well stocked, he always greeted us by name and made the best towel animals!!! I was very happy to meet a young girl I had met last cruise on the Gem, Melva Y. from Peru, she is a special lady, with a smile and personality that really shines. She helped my mom who partially blind last time in the buffet and I never got chance to thank her. Now I did and she was so humble and thankful to be noticed. The ship has amazing Staff in Charge, Jenny the Hotel director keeps the crew working together seamlessly. Every dept worked well together because of the family feeling on the ship.

The shows were all amazing, the production numbers were amazing. We had the chance to experience everything from production numbers to juggling, comedy, ariel show, dancing from tap to disco, and singing through the ages, even Opera. Truly the entertainment was top notch and something for everyone. The entertainment continued through the night with dancing in Spinachers to game shows. And let us not forget you have many chances to try to win from Bingo to a full Casino, and of course the pull tabs. As with the latitude party I did not win,,,,anything.

Food was excellent, I never had trouble finding something I liked, and the Salmon was amazing. My favorite dessert was only served one night a lemon ginger custard, I could eat them every night. My favorite meal was at Le Bistro, I love dressing up, going out on a date on the ship and it is such an intimate experience there. I love the Lobster scallops and shrimp dinner. We shared the chocolate dipped fruit dessert. It was a lovely night. We were dressed up from what used to be the Captains Cocktail party. Maybe the only disappointment, I used to love the party, most everyone dressed up and it was sometimes in surprise places like an empty villa. But now it is just a silver, gold and platiumum get together, very informal, very casual, they do serve wine and cheese, you see the staff for a short time. The old day of glamour is over for that party. I do miss the Captains cocktail party

The weather was great except one night I always seem to bring the sunshine for the trips, so the rain didn't ruin any of the cruise. I would say it was another fantastic cruise with NCL. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

If I could put more stars I would. It was amazing, we got a real cultural experience, We were greeted with music and dancing as we left our tender boats. Signs lead us to the open air tour bus. We went our our journey with our tour guide Richard. He was amazing, he exposed us the real Samana, we went through the rain forest and yes we did see poverty, but the people were warm and friendly, Waving at us NOT begging us, Our first stop was the Culture center where we went into the plantation and they showed us the trees and what grows on them. We then went in the building and were educated about Samana and got to try all the fruits and even wine. After we had time to but some unique pieces of hand carved wood and jewelery. Off on the bus and we arrive at the spot where we were escorted with our own guide to the falls, the guides really knew the path and helped you every step of the way. The walk was worth the view the falls were beautiful. The guides helped us back up and we were greeted by our guide Richard with a ice cold bottled water, it was so needed and enjoyed. He then continued on the most beautiful beach. After an hour on the beach we got back on the bus and then on to a tour of the town. It is being built up with a lot of new buildings to get ready to enter the SHOPPING scene for all the cruise guest who like to shop. I loved the tour, it was not about shopping but of an amazing cultural experience. It was the best tour I have ever done before. ++

Took a carriage tour which is located on the main st. to the left of the ship, it was amazing, Kelly gave us an excellent tour in open air carriage. Kelly was very knowledeable and very friendly.

Read 1378 San Juan Reviews

Took the See and Sea tour from the ship, it was fair, the tour was ok around the island, the sea part was in the bottom of a boat, there were not very many colors, the fish most stripped and bland colors of the coral.

Island Tour

(2)

Not very easy to hear our guide. It was a fair tour of the island, lots of shopping everywhere we went.

Magen Bay Beach

(5)

Megan beach was amazing and beautiful and we enjoyed swimming and the facilities were very nice. Great few hours.