“Fun but average”

Beaching It
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

A group of 11 of us sailed the 4 night Liberty of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel, Mexico and back, to celebrate three birthdays. We had a blast but I have to say I was disappointed in the service on the Liberty. 10 of us had sailed the Liberty 3 years ago and the service has really gone down since that experience.

Embarkation was painful. There was some issue getting the passengers off the ship, so we were held in the cruise terminal for 1.5 hours with no explanation. We finally got on the ship and went straight to the Windjammer for lunch. All was good there. Our cabins were great and we had 4 balconies in a row. Our cabin steward opened the dividers between all 4 with no issue, so we were able to enjoy one large balcony.

The food in the dining room was excellent. All of us really enjoyed our dinner experience. Our head waiter was a little strange. We have friends with severe allergies, and I've found that RCI has always been extremely good and careful with this on every cruise. This cruise was okay but not the usual level of service. Maybe because it was a 4 nighter? Our main waiter warmed up over time, and our water boy was really fun and great (Victor). Food on the rest of the ship was fine and it was always nice to get sandwiches and cookies in the Cafe Promenade or pizza in Sorentos. YUM! Ice cream on the pool deck was delicious too.

The Saturday Night Fever show was amazing. A must see for sure. Up In the Air was also good. You can't miss Quest. Such a laugh always. The 70s parade is fun, especially when you dress up yourself which some of us did. We used the gym every day and it's an amazing gym with wonderful ocean views.

We had pre-booked an RCI jeep/snorkel excursion in Cozumel, and when we arrived to do the excursion we were told it had been changed to no snorkelling, no lunch and a shorter timeframe.... we were not informed of this by RCI. The excursion was disappointing and we would not have booked it had we known. It took us 3 different people to talk to at guest services before getting anywhere. The one guy was so rude and unhelpful when we explained the situation. At one point I said "you need to do the right thing here", and he asked me what that would be! HUH? Another guy came along and we all finally got a full refund on the excursion which made us feel better.

I think the most disappointing part of this cruise for me was the amount of smoking on board, and all over the place. I have never noticed this before on an RCI cruise. I'm not sure why... again, maybe a 4 night long weekend clientele? But it was noticeable in many places on board. The casino was unbearable and so was the night club. It turned me off a 4 night cruise for sure.

When we returned to FLL, we chose to carry our own luggage off at 8am and it was sheer chaos. No staff anywhere to direct people, and it was a huge crowd trying to get off and a riot almost broke out because people were butting in line. Craziness!!!

All in all a very good time because of the group I was travelling with and the food. Have fun!!

Liberty of the Seas Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

Great time with great friends.

Jeep Tour

Very bad! Was supposed to be jeep, snorkel and lunch. No snorkel, no lunch, shortened excursion and same price! We complained and got a refund after a lot of hassle.

Published 11/27/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Liberty of the Seas Review
Liberty of the Seas Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?