Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by archerniak

Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Both Plusses and Negatives

My Husband and I have both traveled on Celebrity 2 times prior to this trip - the last cruise was to Bermuda aboard the Summit prior to them Solstizing the ship. I have been on Holland America also for prior cruises. Age wise (we are both 55 years of age) Celebrity is better for us, although I did enjoy all of my HAL cruises in the past (service and at the time no tipping policy), Celebrity has been very enjoyable. We stayed in one of the Aqua class cabins on Deck 11 (rear) with a great balcony and a very comfortable cabin. One downside is that we were on the side of the ship where the smoking section was from the bar below, so we occasionally got the smell from the smoke from cigarettes and cigars. Our cabin stewards were wonderful - although I am not sure we received all the amenities we were suppose to being in the Aqua class.

Blu restaurant was very good, although the first night we had an issue in getting a table near a porthole - although there were ones available the maître-de did not want to give us one. This changed on following nights once we complained. He needed to learn how to "smile" - his demeanor was a little degrading.

The ship overall was how we remembered it. The one downside, and one I heard from other individuals on board was that if you had a drink package (as we did) bar service and service at the coffee bar was extremely poor. If we are expected to tip separately and with cash in order to obtain the same service as others with no drink package, this should be stated up front by the cruise line. This is especially important if you are on the drink package that was a free option when you booked. If the bar staff know you have a package they basically ignore you. I hope that is the problem and not one that they ignore you because you may not be "beautiful" people. I have never seen such rudeness in the past on any of my past cruise experiences. They also got rid of the trays at the buffet, which helped when trying to get juice, coffee and your breakfast without having to go up multiple times to obtain these items. And the wait staff in the past was around to help you walk the tray to a table - What happened to that small courtesy? It's the little things that make for a great experience over a good/fair experience.

We will still probably return to a Celebrity cruise and hope that our experience on this trip was an anomaly and that the service issues will be corrected in the future.

Publication Date: 11/27/13