Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by paddyzim

Member Name: paddyzim
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Canary Islands
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Laid-back cruising on the Spirit

This was our first cruise with Norwegian, and we really enjoyed it. We are a family of four with two teenagers. A lovely big, bright ship. The bonus on this ship is the ability to relax at the back of the ship, away from the wind. Here are some pro's and some "could do betters!" that we found.

Pro's - the cabins did not feel cramped. We had inside cabins, and they were always kept spotlessly clean by our hard working steward. We were on the ninth floor, so great easy access to the restaurants. We loved Raffles. Fantastic food, great service, wonderful choice. I wished I could eat more, was so tempted by it all. The chocolate buffet was soooo good. We ate on the terrace so could enjoy the air and views. There was a constant free selection of juices - orange, apple, cranberry, strawberry, lemon (favourite), and you could have as much tea and coffee as you wanted. The Jacuzzis were hot - amazing sitting in it under the stars. The shows were really very good. High standard and nice variety. It was great to be able to eat when we wanted and where we wanted.

Could do better - really disappointed in the main dining rooms - Windows and The Garden Room. It was nice to dress up for the evening, but the food was below average. I did not enjoy the choice or the taste, although my husband did like the steak. The service was slow in Windows. They really need to look at what they are serving. I thought it was very "nursing home" like food. I wish I could have ordered Raffles food and had it served in the main dining room!

Too many sea days on this particular cruise - we ended up with five sea days out of a nine day cruise, because it was too rough to dock in Lanzarote. When we cruise again I will be more careful with the number of sea days. It did start to feel a bit claustrophobic.

The teen area was great, and when it was open our teens had a ball. But it was frequently closed, which they found frustrating. Perhaps again this was emphasized by a large number of sea days.

We would definitely cruise with NCL again - but would pick more port stops.

Publication Date: 11/26/13