Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Sox59: First and last Royal experience

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First and last Royal experience

Sail Date: November 2013

This was my first cruise on Royal Caribbean, after five with Celebrity and one with Carnival. My friends and I had planned this as a "girls" vacation and were looking forward to what we hoped would be an upgrade from our last trip, on Carnival. While the Liberty is a much more modern and attractive ship, the overall experience was, sadly, not really an upgrade.

Service was lacking, from the moment we checked in, we were three women, sharing a Junior Suite. The check in process took over half an hour for the three of us. Our room keys were not in the envelope, the staff informed us that they thought they had been given to someone else, and then, they were unable to find any keys at all. Only one of our group had a quick check in...that is a 33% success rate-not a great way to start a vacation. The staff forgot to take my photo at checkin and only did so when I reminded them to!

The issues with our sea pass continued, as we tried to board, and we had to go to the guest More relations desk to retrieve new keys....the staff at the desk was unpleasant and argumentative..just wrong.

Sadly, this was the theme, in our experience, throughout the trip, when it came to the Guest Relations and room service staff. Our simple request for three cups of coffee brought only two...when I asked for the third, I was told" they only told us two"....on Carnival or, certainly, Celebrity, the response would have been an apology and a quick return with another cup. These are just some of the situations we encountered..

That is, until disembarkation, which was the most disorganized movement of guests I have ever seen. Those who had a flight to catch were moved to tears, since the process was delayed by almost an hour.

Oh, and did I mention that smoking on a ship is a deal breaker for us from now on. Disgusting cigar smoke in an enclosed area...say no more. Who would have expected that?

Now for the good...and there was some! Our room steward was a delight, and the main dining room staff was wonderful. One dinners were delightful, tasty and served by pleasant and professional staff.

I am sure that many will say that we should have know what we were in for, but, honestly, we thought more of Royal Caribbean... Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>