Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by sharpasice

Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Loved this ship

It's been a few years since our last cruise and we were really excited about going on the Oasis of the Seas. We were not disappointed. My husband and I started out driving from Chicago to Walt Disney World on to Vero Beach the night before the cruise and finally to Port Everglades. We parked with Park and Go, I would recommend them to everyone. They were great.

Embarkation went really quickly. We arrived around 1130am. We did enter through a different door though than the main crowd since we were in a junior suite. Didn't know that this was a perk, but we were thankful we didn't have to go through the crowds. Entering on the promenade was very nice. It was only crowded at the entrance since people tended to walk in and gawk...standing in place, holding up the people behind them. After getting past the gawkers, the crowd wasn't bad at all. From there we explored the ship and waited till our room was ready.

As soon as the announcement was made, we went to our stateroom to dump our carry-ons. This is the first time we have ever had a junior suite and what a great room! We had JS 6640 on the Starboard side and IDEAL room. Close to elevators, just a short walk to the donut shop and boardwalk and on the "action" side of the ship. We had a great view of every port and could watch the pier runners everyday we were in docked. I would definitely book this room again. It was large, with walk in closet, large bathroom with tub, huge balcony and best of all the best room steward on the ship! Halsted was outstanding!! We made a very good friend in him.

My husband and I did not do any shore excursions. Instead we chose to stay on the ship and take advantage of the calm, relaxing atmosphere. We did get off at Falmouth though to walk around the port. On one of the port days I went to the spa for one of the specials and was there for over 2 hours!!! The girl did an amazing job. My one complaint is the robes (in the spa) are way too small. I'm a large woman but only wear a sz 16 ..so that's not huge but the robes did not close!! I asked what they do for very large people they, told me they wrap them in blankets! Also there is not much privacy in the showers. As I got a body scrub before the massage I had to shower off the scrub. The hooks for the robes and towels is about 8 ft away from the shower itself and there is nowhere closer. So the shower stall is private but to get your towel you need to walk out naked while the restrooms are just inside this area people were walking in...not to my liking at all. I dragged my towel into the shower and walked out with it wrapped around me ..wet ..to the robes and dry towels. This really needs improvement. In addition, although there is a tip already added to the bill, I added $9 more BUT when I checked my bill later on the TV there was an additional charge of $10 plus the original tip plus the additional $9! Went to Guest Services and they refunded the $10 which they said someone added as and additional tip! So watch your bills.

We spent a lot of time in the casino where we watched 2 people win over $6000 ea. We had no such luck. LOL One thing to note, that no one tells you, if you are an M Life member, show your card when getting cash from the cashier and they waive the fee.

We had MTD and loved it. We only went 2 nights though, since there are soooo many dining venues on the ship. I had the rack of lamb one night which was outstanding and on the other night both of us had the lobster tail. I also had the escargot. All were delicious and service was outstanding. During this cruise we also ate at Johnny Rockets..very good and on embarkation day had lunch at Giovanni's..which we loved. We did eventually try the beef sandwiches everyone talks about but I guess we are spoiled by the beef sandwiches served in Chicago. These were just ok.

All in all, we would sail the Oasis again. We thought that although the ship is huge, walking around was not horrible, everything was close, maybe because of the location of our room (?) We both have mobility issue with bad knees but neither of us had a problem. I would recommend this ship to everyone.

OH, and finally disembarkation..I almost forgot. We asked for a later time 1030am, to give my husband some extra hours of sleep since we were driving to Tampa later. We could have done an earlier time. We waited in Studio B for our number to be called and watched TV while there. The ship served coffee, tea, juice, water and pastries, free. Getting to the terminal, it was exceptionally easy to find our luggage, then we saw the huge line for customs. Although it was moving quickly, there appeared to be maybe 500 in line. UGH! BUT one of the porters pointed out that since I use a cane we could get in the handicapped line which was very short and we were out in about 10 mins. Couldn't ask for better!

Publication Date: 11/26/13