Celebrity Century Cruise Review by gw15: An Outstanding Value!

Celebrity Century 5

An Outstanding Value!

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Diego

This was our first cruise longer than 7 days and I will never do a short cruise again! 15 nights was enough time to really immerse ourselves in the experience and gave us the opportunity to meet many wonderful people. We were a little leery about spending so many days at sea, but with so much to do on the ship, it was great!

We spoke to many people with varying opinions of the ship from good to horrible. I guess it's up to your expectation and what stateroom you had. It's an older ship and somewhat worn but we knew that going in and the crew keeps it clean. Some complained about creaky rooms, lack of storage space and little hot water - we experienced none of those. We had a comfy and cozy inside room with 3 closets and great water pressure.

We also heard some complaints about the activities. There again, I found much to do, but I guess it depends on what you like. I am a trivia buff and had the opportunity to play 3 times each day. I enjoy Bingo but it was More ridiculously expensive. Fortunately I won a game and those winnings just covered my cost to play over a few days. Joe Murphy's historical talks were outstanding and the Hawaiian crafts were fun. I never had a problem filling my days.

We liked the flexibility of select dining and our few forays into the main dining room were very enjoyable. But we mostly ate at the buffet and enjoyed the variety. All-you-can-eat sushi was a highlight for my husband while I enjoyed the personalized pasta station and Indian food. There was plenty of variety so we never got bored. However desserts were only so-so except for the wonderful bread-and-butter pudding with vanilla sauce - YUM! We ate that almost every day.

The shows were just ok - not up to what we've experienced on other cruises. Our favorite was a comedian/juggler who was just hysterical. But he was so quick with his jokes that you could miss many. My husband went to both shows to try to catch all of them.

The one thing we heard universal appreciation for was the crew. They were all very friendly and helpful and John, the cruise director, was fantastic. And every single crew member you passed anywhere on the ship always said hello. They were a lovely, hard-working group of people. Our room steward was exceptionally efficient and flexible with our schedule - I'm an early bird and my husband a night owl so we made it difficult for him to find time to clean our room, but he managed in spite of us.

I won't get into the specific ports but in general, I found the shore excursions through Celebrity pricy and not that great. I hate to shop and resent spending money to be brought to a place to spend more. I'd rather use that time to sight-see.

We got a great deal on this cruise and there is no other vacation we could take where we'd get such comfy rooms, great food, fun and entertainment for such a price. It was an outstanding vacation at an outstanding value. Less

Published 11/26/13

Helpful? Thank gw15

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review:

Comfortable room. Lots of storage. No creaks. Great water pressure and plenty of hot water.

gw15
Member Since 2013
10 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?