Independence Cruise Review by cornelia lewis

Member Name: cornelia lewis
Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Charleston
Destination: U.S.A.
See More About: Independence Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | American Cruise Lines Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Independence Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Review of cruise from Charleston, S.C. to Jacksonville, FL

We very much enjoyed the cruise, although it was VERY cold! We were disappointed not to have a pre boarding morning tour of Charleston. We loved Beaufort, Savannah, Sapelo Island, Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island and Amelia Island and general cruise through the low lands.

We especially liked our big rooms on the first floor in the 100's(same floor as the dining room). They are bigger because there is no balcony which takes away from the square footage of the room as well as the light! It was also nice to have an elevator, as I have had three knee operations(no replacement) and I don't need to do stairs any more than I have to.

I was disappointed that the staff did NOT observe the dietary restriction that I had specifically written down on your space for "dietary needs" Every morning, they give you a menu to choose from, write it down and I always noted "low sodium". No one ever sought me out to find me with the low sodium meals. We just recently returned from a cruise of the Black Sea and the very first thing they did after the emergency drill, was to ask those with dietary requirements, to come to the lounge to meet with the chef to discuss my needs. Every meal a designated waiter brought me what I had requested for BOTH lunch and dinner! On the cruise we took with you, I finally had to go out to the kitchen, find the chef, and demand that SOMEONE pay attention, not just to me, but to others who also complained.

One other suggestion: the entertainment was a little thin. One of them should clearly be dropped. It's been so long that I can't remember exactly who. Otherwise, it was very enjoyable and the staff was excellent.

Publication Date: 02/03/14