Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Ottawaclown: Carnival Freedom - November 10 - 16

Ottawaclown
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Freedom - November 10 - 16

Sail Date: November 2013

Over all the cruise was awesome. I just wanted to give my review from start to finish and I will start with the bad to good stuff.

The BAD!

Room Steward was horrible. He wasn't rude or anything like that but the service was bad. I won't go into detail since I already posted under the Room Steward topic that someone had already started. Anyone interested can read in detail what happened in that post.

First night we had Steak House so we weren't in the MDR (CHIC) however on the second night the service was horrible and very slow. We had early dinning 6:00 pm. It took at least 30 minutes to get our bread served to us. It took about 45 minutes to get our order taken. We got there at 6:00 pm and didn't get our main served until 7:30 pm. The MDR show was actually over which was very unusual since every other cruise we are usually done or having our desert when the MDR show starts. When all was done we were out of there at 8 pm. The third night was much better but More still a little slow. Now it wasn't a problem after that night since we had asked to be changed to a table that seated at least 6 since we had another couple friends with the couple we went with on the cruise that were booked on the same cruise who had late dinning and we all wanted to sit together for early dinning. They had us moved to the POSH dinning room and the service was like night and day. Our waiter was exceptional and service was very speedy.

The CD was so so. Didn't like some of the timing of the activities on the ship. The main ones being that the Deck Party was not really posted as the Deck Party as we had been use to seeing it on other cruise and they had it the night before an early port. Normally we are up very late every night however we called it an early night because of an early port the next day. Also they apparently were having a Mexican buffet that night but it was not advertised any where in the Fun Times and to be honest didn't stick around to see if they did since we had already eaten and didn't see it anywhere advertised it was just what people were saying that were looking for it but if they were having it I told them it was too early. The other timing thing I thought could of been better is on the night they had no Comedy shows they also gave the piano bar player his day off. To me they should they should of off set it so there would have been more to do on that night.

Now for the GOOD!

Embarkation and debarkation was smooth. Our shuttle was bad and long (but not Carnivals fault) since we had to drop some people off at the Princess cruise port first. Problem was the port that ship was at is horrible to get in an out compared to where the Freedom is. There is a lot of congestion. Once we were able to get out of there it was very fast. For getting on basically got off at around 11:30 am and handed off our luggage. After leaving a nice tip we made our way inside and walked right through security where there was no line up. Had the water inspected and off in our line to register we went. The line for registering was not bad much worse about 30 minutes later however it went very fast. I would say by 12:00 - 12:15 we were done registration and we were able to get right on the ship. Debarkation was even smoother. Picked up our luggage once our zone got called and we were in line for maybe 30 minutes.

Cheers Program! We purchased as soon as we got on and unlike the last time had no issues with charges that should be there like on the last cruise. The only item is we had one bartender trying to say that pop wasn't covered on the pass which was unusual unless it was his first day on the ship ever. After asking him to check with someone else he apologized for the error.

The Bar staff (2 in particular) at the Casino and one at the Piano Bar were exceptionally good and were rewarded very well with some tips throughout the cruise and a very nice tip on the last day which I handed them cash for this one and thanked them personally for the great service.

The shows and Comedians were out of this world much better then our last cruise. The show Ticket to Ride which is a Beatles tribute is a must see on this ship.

Marty Gast the Piano Bar player has to be one of the BEST I've seen. James Quingley is very close to him. We had an awesome time every time we were there even stayed and chatted with us for 30 - 45 minutes after the first night.

Steak House was out of this world it was the first time we ever booked. We had it on the first night since it was our Anniversary and it was worth every penny plus booking on the first night you get a bottle of cheap wine but it was very good so no complaining when it's free. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

If you are thinking of doing a Beach Day don't bother booking with Carnival. Not something I usually recommend however Grand Cayman is very safe area and beaches are very close to port. We took a cab to a new bar called Surf Side Beach recommended by our driver. Cost was $5.00 per person each way. There was NO CHARGE to access the beach. They had rental place for all your needs and a restaurant and bar with DJ playing awesome music. What we did is we walked up the beach for about 20 - 25 minutes and found a nice quiet place with probably nice beach area. We swam there in the ocean for about 1.5 hours and then headed back to the restaurant and bar to take in some lunch and drinks.

We finally left there early afternoon and headed back to the boat. We enjoyed this a lot and it was much cheaper than any beach excursion that we could of booked with Carnival.

Pub Crawl

To start this was a walking tour. You don't need to worry it's not a lot of walking. Just very casual. Tour guide will stop and give a bit of history on Key West as well as the next Bar you will be attending. They will let you know what your tickets are good for before you arrive at each bar. You spend about 20 minutes at each place and once you reach the last one you are good to go at any time.
Tour started slow but once you got a few drinks everyone started mingling and having fun. Myself and my group had an amazing time during this excursion and highly recommend it.

Beach Break

(5)

The excursion was Dunn's River Falls with shopping and beach break at Bamboo Beach Club. We started off on a bus ride to Dunn's River Falls with our wonderful tour guides Deandra and Kemone who I believe work with the Bamboo Beach Club. Our guides gave us some directions and information about Jamaica on our way to the falls. Once we got there they organized us and off we went. The falls were amazing and a must see even if you just walk along side of them. My wife completed the walk up even though she was terrified. A good tip when they take through the market after the falls on your way to your bus listen to what your guides tell you and there won't be any problem. I had read a lot of bad reviews about how aggressive they were but I actually didn't find it bad at all. I simply didn't take anything that was offered to me, didn't get into any conversation and tried to avoid eye contact if possible. A couple of time I gave them a firm NO as we were instructed since if you give them a firm NO they will not bother you.
After the falls we were off to do some shopping which was right outside of the port. There is only a few shops which are your typical port shops. Nothing exciting but I didn't care I wanted to get to the beach. The stop was for only 20 minutes which was more then enough and didn't hear any complaints from anyone.
We were then off to Bamboo Beach Club. At first glance not what I was expecting but after a few rum punches and beers everything was good. Things to remember here the put you with your group if you want to wander off let your guides know where you are so they can find you for drinks and food. If you wander off and don't tell them don't complain they didn't server you anything. We received plenty to drink and eat. The Jamaica food was amazing. We then got treated to some dancing by all the tour guides from each groups as well as some authenticate Jamaican style dancing with dancers that are part of the club. As we were leaving we were greeted with another big tray of drinks for the road. This tour was worth every penny. The only thing I can say is the down fall is there are so many people to tip. (Tour guides, bus driver (although I think we were the only ones to tip him), the people helping you up the falls, the guy taking the video tape as you are going up the falls) Tip bring extra money for all the tipping.

Dunn's River Falls