Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by tlcalldritt: Fun Cruise to New England & Canada with a few Hiccups!

tlcalldritt
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Canada & New England Cruises

Fun Cruise to New England & Canada with a few Hiccups!

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Brooklyn, Red Hook)

SHIP - Typical Princess ship - VERY clean and the staff was top-notch! Getting off and back on the ship was smooth and organized. Good food, average entertainment and nice variety of things to do.

FOOD - Food was great and included lots of different kinds of seafood. Italian and German themed nights were both good. Found the Horizon Buffet to be there best bet for all meals - Quick, easy and no need to dress up on a relaxed, laid back cruise.

ENTERTAINMENT - Average entertainment and good variety from the shows all the way down to the Bingo and trivia and even the ice carving demonstrations. WARNING if you are a "bigger" person! The only downfall of the entertainment on this ship was the fact that all of the shows are in the same place, The Princess Theater and the seats in the Princess Theater are the SMALLEST seats I have EVER seen on any cruise!!! Once you pour yourself into the seats, you actually can't wait for the show to be over to wedge yourself out of them! More

CASINO - Pay attention when you cash out on a slot machine putting the $ on your cruise card. I won $70 and went to dinner. When I came back an hour later, there was $0 on my card. I asked a casino staff member, he checked my card and told me that I hadn't been there that day at all. It wasn't until I asked for the manager and insisted that they look at their videos to prove that I was there and won $70, that they gave me my $70 I had coming to me - With no apology.

NOTE - As far as I'm concerned Princess spends too much time "trying" to cater to people with money by offering art auctions, champagne pouring photo ops, shopping clinics etc. From what I could see VERY few guests even attended these events and the ones that did, didn't buy a thing. Princess needs to work on keeping the majority of their average guests happy and quit playing it up to those who have money or in reality, pretend to have money. I will say that that the sales onboard of t-shirt, jewelry and other souvenirs were a very good deal! Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Bar Harbor - Unfortunately thanks to our lovely U.S. Government shut down, all of the tours to Acadia Natl. Park were cancelled - So we tendered into the town with 3,000 others and checked out the town shops and ate at a cute little local cafe and got the lobster roll we were promised to get on our tour. Super bummed out that our tour was cancelled as it was one of the main reasons we went on this cruise!

Duck Tour

(3)

Boston - We did the duck tour and our driver/tour guide was funny, knowledgeable and we saw many sites. We chose to get off @ Faniel Hall and The Quincy Market - Great place to see history and eat lunch! We bought a bus ticket back to the pier ahead of time, but when boarding the bus, we realized that they let anyone with a Princess cruisecard on the bus for a ride back to the pier - $20 wasted!

Halifax - We actually had our own personal family member give us a tour for the day, which was great! Others, who we talked to on the ship, really enjoyed Peggy's Cove and the Titanic Museum, which is within walking distance to the pier.

Read 349 Halifax Reviews

City Tour

(3)

Newport - Town Tour/Drive and Estate Tour was way overpriced and we only saw 1 home and the rest from the road and only a few blocks of the town. In addition, the tour guide talked SUPER slow and was VERY boring! Don't bother booking a tour - You can see many homes from the ship and tender coming into town and you can walk much of the town and see things for yourself.

Carleton Martello Tower

(3)

St. John - Lovely town, but the Town & Martello Tower Tour was way overpriced and actually quite boring. We could have seen just as much by doing our own walking tour of the town. The people of this town/port were wonderful - Greeting us with roses for all of the women and a live singer to welcome us and a lone bag piper to see us off at the end of the day.