Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by icunjl

Carnival Liberty
Carnival Liberty
Member Name: icunjl
Cruise Date: November 2013

My first Carnival cruise...My last.

My first Carnival cruise was on the Liberty which sailed November 9th. It sailed from Miami Florida and ported at Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan - Puerto Rico and Grand Turk. We started our vacation leaving Seattle, Washington November 6th. Our early arrival prior to our trip was to visit the Keys. When we arrived in Miami, Florida we stayed at the EB Hotel. This hotel is only 4 months old and still in their upgrade mode. The rooms were magnificent! Spotless, floor to ceiling window wall, walk in shower, Sleep Number King bed and two large LCD TV's, one in the bedroom, the other in the sitting room. Now to our ship experience.

The Carnival Liberty ship boarding was quite simple and swift. Once on the ship, we went straight to our wonderful premium aft corner wrap cabin 6452. I had ordered anniversary decoration in our cabin online and they were set up upon our arrival. My wife was totally taken by surprise and loved the decorations and the room. The bed in this aft 9C corner is set at a angle. Includes a small Samsung flat screen TV, VCR/DVD player, seating / fold out bed combo, plenty of closet and drawer space with two bathrobes. The bathroom was just right in size. We seemed to have room to move about and had extra windows to let light and views into our room. 1 window with door on one wall and 1 window on the other wall over the bed for a total of 3!

Once we left port we soon discovered the Carnival way. Some good, some not so good. So here is our 2 cents. The ship was lively and very much geared for that. Our first cruise was on Princess was a bit more relaxed. As we wandered out we were ready to eat lunch. Guy Fieri's burger joint was EXCELLENT. We have a Five Guys joint near our home and I consider them equal in quality and taste with the fact you can personally build your Guy Fieri burger...the edge! The Lido deck buffets were simple with a good variety of foods we all know at home. Nothing over the top. Reminded me of our local Granny's Buffet in quality. The cantaloupe and honey dew seemed a bit off, the pineapple was sweet etc. I'd rate the overall buffet food with a "C". The 24 hr brick oven pizza was Excellent. Fish and chips, GOOD. The dining menu served up a tastier dinner, but I found it to be about a "B". They have a "Served Everyday" side of the menu and the options of the day on the other. You can get anything you wish within reason. The Diamond Steakhouse charges $30 per person. We ate there twice and found the service and quality very good. We gave Diamonds an "A". Activities on the boat are delivered the night before. There is an awful lot to do on the Liberty. We had to keep a copy of the events planner on our person to make sure we got there on time. We found the entertainment on board fun and enjoyable. We loved the 5th floor evening house band near the casino. They played all the rock and pop hits that we liked.

I am not going to say much about every Port. They were all magnificent! This was our first time to each Port. We especially loved San Juan and made sure we got some home Puerto Rican style cooking! Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk had the best swimming in my life! Entertainment was on going from the time you woke, to the time you finally pooped out from dancing. The ship provides something fun for all ages. My group brought children and the kids loved the Kids Club and the littlest one could not wait getting to daycare! Unfortunately I need to mention a negative side to our cruise and why it may be my last. And the reason being is not the ship, crew, or food in general. This falls directly upon the Liberty and Carnival in customer public relations. I will try to be brief, but I need to be 100% accurate and clear of my experience at the AM dining on the morning of Porting at Half Moon Cay. I am and never have been one to manipulate anything for gain on my behalf, but I do have limits as we all do. This is not to slander or to disrespect Carnival in any manner, as I hope it was taken seriously although my expectations was not met. My group of 4 couples got seated for breakfast. I ordered my main course, eggs benedict and it arrived with the yolk hard and the sauce thick and very dry. At first, I tried to eat it. But my desire was a soft, semi runny yolk with a creamy texture sauce. I showed the table and they all commented to return it to the cook and have it done right! Ok...I never return food due to fact of all the horror stories. lol. But, I really wanted eggs benedict to meet my small standards and called the waiter over to have my meal "corrected". After a short wait, I get my order returned...done "correctly". The sauce seemed creamy, the yolk runny, so I started to enjoy my breakfast. I ate nearly 75% of the eggs benedict and I slid the mostly eaten muffin over to the side of my plate and it left a dark black streak... MOLD. I lifted the muffin and there was a dime size black mold spot. I and our guests just about heaved! Heck, how much did I already eat and how many other customers got and ate this stuff without knowing? I called over the waiter and showed him. He spoke broken English, but said "OMG". He takes my plate back to somewhere. We all wait. About 5 minutes go by, no waiter, no cook nobody shows up to our table. Finally, the waiter shows up and takes down my room number. We are all excited about swimming at Half Moon, so we now leave. We get back from the beach after a few hours or more and noticed nothing in our cabin mailbox or any messages from our incident. We really did not know if any follow up was going to come our way. Now, 3 nights pass. Still no contact to us. No nothing. Now we feel WE need to inquire. I call guest services and explained the incident. I reiterated that I am not a opportunist for a mere mold spot, but that I was disappointed that WE had to inquire about it. We only expected some type of return acknowledgement. Then at one of our dining sessions, the head supervisor came to our table and asked for me. He asked if we could talk now at our table. I replied...No. I said to myself I do not want to talk about moldy food at our table. I said I will talk to him after, personally. Well, after dinner we had short time to meet elsewhere and I left forgetting to speak with him. The next day I get a message on our cabin phone. It is guest services. Not from him, not from any higher ups. the message goes like this. "We apologize for what you experienced in our dining room. If further assistance from our medical staff is needed, please inquire." My wife and I looked at each other and smiled. In our minds, after WE having to report the issue and how they "resolved" it left us kind of perplexed. We of course did not expect a trinket, but you know how people are...a trinket to ease our experience would have said a lot about a billion dollar cruise line. But I basically ate moldy food and a punch to the gut. But thank you Mr and Mrs Bradley for your $1,200 onboard spending! Come sail with us again! I do not think so.

Publication Date: 11/24/13