Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by geebeeyou: Good, but not great
Overall Member Rating
Good, but not great
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Background: Aussie Couple, early 40’s. Have previously cruised on the Sun Princess & Radiance of the Seas.
We have just returned from a 12 night South Pacific voyage visiting Lifou, Noumea & Isle of Pines (New Caledonia) and Suva and Lautoka (Fiji). Below are our thoughts:-
• The ship Absolutely beautiful, clean and modern
• The staterooms We had a Deck 9 Aft rear facing. Bed was good, layout was excellent and innovative bathroom with curved shower screens a credit to the designers
• The Martini bar flair bartenders were great
• The Grand Epernay food
• The disembarkation. We were allocated No.1 and were and from the time we left the ship to in a taxi was about 3 minutes ''" no kidding.
• Bistro on 5 Great food and services and totally worth the $5 cover-charge
• Premium Alcohol Package Very convenient
GOOD More THINGS:
• Embarkation in Sydney was good considering there are 2800+ passengers
• The captain and bridge crew’s control of this monster ship on the last night when we hit big oceans in the Tasman sea.
• Mast Grille made good hamburger/hotdog meals
• Oceanview Café Food was very average compared to the two ships we have previously been on.
• The entertainment in the Solstice theatre was hit and miss.
• Pool entertainment when the band wasn’t playing. It was good when the afternoon Zumba classes were on at least we have some recent music as a reasonable volume.
• Most staff seemed tired and overworked. Whilst service was okay, they were pretty robotic.
• The Coffee place Poor coffee and poor service. Seemed like passengers were an inconvenience to them.
• Activities on board are few and far between and appear to be geared towards the elderly passengers.
• The blue plastic outdoor cups need replacing. Most were either cracked, scratched or in some cases, leaking
• Pool towels need replacing. Most were quite old a ratty
• Not enough seating in the Oceanview cafe
• Norovirus on the ship meant an enhanced sanitation program was implemented i.e no self-service anywhere on the ship
• Running out of most beers by day 6 of 12. The selection after day 6 was very poor.
• Passengers refusing to tip. I know it’s not the aussie thing, but please people ''" the cruise staff rely on this. It’s how they make a living,
• Slow service (understaffing) at most bars
• Smokers area next to the running/walking track on deck 14
• Smokers area right outside the door on deck 12
• What is the point of all the lawn ''" most of which is roped off for the entire time. Seems like a waste of space.
As I previously said great ship, but probably more suited to those who want a low-key cruise with little variety. We are not likely to cruise with Celebrity again, but more likely to stay with their sister line, Royal Caribbean. Less
Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>
DIsaster on the High Seas
Serious Issues on August 10 Sa...
Still fun but needs food to im...
3 star experience
Featured Speaker: Brett Nixon...
Upcharged Galore, but still a ...
New Converts from Concierge Cl...
Want to buy a timeshare? Oh, I...