Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by oshunreef

Norwegian Sun
Member Name: oshunreef
Cruise Date: October 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Suntastic Cruise!!

My DH and I arrived in Miami the night before our cruise. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Biscayne Blvd. It was very convenient to go across the street and had many choices for dining. We arrived the next morning at the cruise port around 10:45. We were on the ship around 11:30am. We went to the dining room for lunch, which was very nice and not crowded like the buffet usually is. We were in our room around 1:30pm and dropped our bags and walked around. Due to some issues under the ship, they had some divers underneath, and we didn’t leave port until around 6pm. I don’t think anyone seemed to mind and the Captain had has caught up in time before our first port.

Our balcony stateroom was very roomy and had plenty of drawers, shelves, and bins in the closet. Our stateroom was 9031 and our stateroom attendant was Ramel, who was absolutely wonderful. We had wine and the chocolate covered strawberries. Yummy. The shower was big enough, but I must say it was difficult for a woman to shave her legs. I ended up putting my foot on the toilet to reach to shave…lol.

The food at the buffet was pretty much the same everyday, with just a few things changing. The food in the dining room was okay, but not the best. I can say that I am not too fussy, because I am happy not to have to prepare it, cook it, and clean up. We ate in Il Adagio and it was very good. We didn’t try the other specialty restaurants. The chicken wings at the sports bar where good, as was the bartender  Gopish (not sure if I spelled it right). The omelets and waffles in Moderno in the mornings where very good. Not many people realized that Moderno had the omelets or waffles, until a few days after sailing.

The cruise crew staff is the best! Everyone worked together, very well, as a team; which make for a wonderful cruise. Everyone who worked on the Sun was friendly, courteous, and would go out of their way to find out things for you or do something for you.

As far as the entertainment, we only saw the comedians, hypnotist, and the acrobats. We really enjoyed the acrobats. We didn’t see the dance shows or musical show. The white hot night party was fun with lots of dancing. There is the Not So Newlywed Game, Deal or No Deal, Bingo, and many other activities or shows. I have to say that the dancing with the staff was pretty funny. I enjoyed the little clips they put in after each dancing couple was voted off….very funny and clever. We also enjoyed the piano and the guitar entertainers a few nights.

The ship itself is old and has character. I overheard some people complaining about it being a little rusty here and there with a little wear and tear, but I just think it had character. There was a lot of wood, brass, and lots of glass (some stained).

We visited Cartagena, Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten & St. Thomas. Cartagena we did the easy tour and a bit disappointed. We only stopped at the fort and a shop. Not sure if I would want to go back to this port. The sea water here is not as pretty as other places in the Caribbean. We did love all the other ports. Went to Eagle Beach in Aruba, DH went on a snorkel over a tugboat and loved it and I went shopping, went to Sunset Grill in St. Maarten to watch the airplanes, and went to Magens Bay in St. Thomas. Had a fantastic time!

I would definitely go back on NCL Sun. The only thing I can possibly complain about is that the beds are very firm, which is not always great for everyone. A couple of days our backs or hips hurt after sleeping. By the end of the cruise we were getting used to it. I have to say the cruise director and the staff are wonderful and Kudos to all of them. I am ready to go back 

Publication Date: 11/24/13