Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by soarfrs

Allure of the Seas
Member Name: soarfrs
Cruise Date: November 2013

Back on the Allure of the Seas

My wife and I flew down to Miami the evening before setting sail on American Airlines. The flight was delayed by a bit over an hour because of toilet problems but was smooth once we were airborne. We took a taxi to stay at a Holiday Inn Express next to the airport which, although basic, provided us with a good night's sleep.

The following morning, we slept in, grabbed a quick bite to eat at the hotel and took a shuttle to the cruiseport. It only took about ten to fifteen minutes from getting out of the van to stepping foot on the ship. We went up to deck 15 to the buffet that they had at the Brazilian steakhouse in the solarium area for lunch. The menu here is mostly composed of fairly healthy choices but was not as much to my liking as other venues on the ship. At least it was fairly uncrowded. Afterwards, we went to our stateroom, unpacked and rested for a bit. That evening, we ate at the main dining room Adagio. The food was fairly good but the line to be seated was quite long. After eating, we went to the Oceanaria show which was excellent as usual.

Our next day was a sea day and I spent much of the day wandering around the ship, playing various trivia contests. It was quite nice to be able to sleep in for a change.

The next day, we arrived at Labradee Haiti. The weather was quite warm and humid and partly cloudy. I had a nice barbecue lunch there and spent some time wandering about, but did not do any excursions because I had previously done most of the ones that I was interested in doing previously. That evening, we dined at 150 Central Park, a specialty restaurant on board. Both the food and atmosphere there were excellent.

On day four, we arrived in Falmouth, Jamaica. I was scheduled for a river tour which was to meet at 1:15 and depart at 1:30. I arrived at 1:10 for the excursion and found that the excursion had already left at 12:30. I showed them my ticket which clearly stated the 1:15 time but they said that there was nothing that they could do for me and told me to go back to the ship for a refund. I was able to get my refund and they gave me 50% off my next excursion in Cozumel. The excursions people on the ship said that apparently the person working the desk on land did not know what they were doing as the excursion did actually leave at 1:30 after all. Well, maybe next time...

Day five was a sea day and I spent most of the day eating, relaxing and playing trivia.

On day six, we arrived in Cozumel Mexico. I had an exclusion scheduled for the x-rails to Jade Caverns. Fortunately, this excursion left on time. This excursion involved taking a larger version of a go-cart down a bunch of muddy, bumpy roads to a ceynote where we could take a short dip in a cave, with the expectation of getting quite muddy from the experience. Overall, I enjoyed the excursion quite a bit although it would have been better (and shorter) if the x- rails were better maintained. We had to stop about half a dozen times on the way to the caverns due to malfunctioning x-rails and twice on the way back. Each time, the guides were able to fix the problem within five minutes or so, but in total, the various breakdowns caused the excursion to last significantly longer than expected and adversely impacted the amount of time that we had to spend in the Jade Caverns ( about 15 minutes total). After getting back from the expedition, we had to wait for about 45 minutes while the staff tried to persuade us to but videos and/ or photos of our trip. We then headed back to the ship. That evening, I saw the headliner show which, although fairly good, was not too different from some other entertainers who I have seen in the past.

On day seven, I spent most of the day relaxing, eating and playing trivia again, with a nice 50 minute massage thrown in the mix.

On day eight, we woke up early, finished packing and headed to Windjammers for a final breakfast. Fortunately, it was early enough that we were able to find a table quickly , get a bite to eat and walk off of the ship. Since we were carrying our bags with us, we were able to go directly to customs. It took about twenty minutes or so to clear customs and we caught a taxi to take us to Fort Lauderdale airport so we could rent a car and explore Florida for a day until we had to return to Indiana.

Overall we enjoyed the Allure and she seemed in good repair other than the shower issue. She was clean and most of the personnel were friendly and out main dining room service was excellent.

Publication Date: 11/24/13