Ryndam 1

Cruise review of Holland America Ryndam

Wolfgang1
Member Since 2013

Overall Member Rating

I jumped ship from RCCL/Celebrity to HAL on the recommendation of some friends, I'm jumping straight back.

The ship is lovely, clean, stylishly decorated and a manageable size.

The crew however, are the most miserable bunch of people in the service industry I have encountered, a couple were downright rude.

There was very little evidence of anyone in charge in the restaurant which led to lacklustre service and very few sightings of any senior crew at all. I seriously think HAL have major staff/union issues on this ship.

The service from room service was so abysmal that it was almost funny, bottles of champagne simply thrust through the door without any ice bucket or glasses and on several occasions we were told they were too busy and could we 'nip' upto the bar, seeing as the ship was half empty, this was a bit worrying.

Many of the staff had difficulty in communicating in english, which led us to believe this may be a training ship?. More

My major disppointment was that apart from two days, the only lunch service was in the pool buffet (not my idea of a nice lunch) and even this ended at 1400 making any long morning shore exploration a project, we ate in our cabin most lunchtimes, my idea of lunch isn't queueing for canteen style food with 700 other people.

The most appalling thing?, the way HAL dealt with our complaints, a free dinner in the Pinnacle grill on my next HAL cruise, which isn't going to happen. Less

Overall Ratings

Cabin review:

Published 11/23/13

Read Cruise Critic's Ryndam Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?