Royal Princess Cruise Review by AirVenture: Lovely Honeymoon

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Lovely Honeymoon

Sail Date: November 2013

I seriously don't know how you could have a bad time on this ship. I think the big problem is that this new ship is drawing so much attention from experienced cruise goers that you get a lot of very critical reviews. This is only my second cruise, although I've traveled extensively across the states and Europe.

Pros:

Food was soooo good! - we ate at Sabatini's, Alfredos, and the various buffet options including the pizza and grill on the Lido Deck. Sabatini's was nice, but I don't think the food warranted the price. The service was the same as you receive in the dining halls. Alfredos was a nice change of pace and fun to have a view of the atrium while we ate. We loved the buffet. I was picking up stuff I hardly knew what it was and it was delicious. The desserts at every venue seemed about the same. I lot of cheese cakes and mouses. Don't get me wrong, they were great, but maybe a little boring.

Our room was just right for us! Of course it's small (you're More on a ship!), but was just perfect for two people. We had a standard balcony room. The balcony was a bit small, but bigger than people were making it out to be. It's perfectly comfortable having 2 people out there. The beds were perfect firmness for us, although there's a hump in the middle where the two single beds were pushed together. The on-demand movies and tv were a nice surprise! The live-tv options though are limited to sports, news, and princess' own productions. The bathroom was extremely functional and came well stocked.

The Attrium was a beautiful sight. It blows my mind that this is on a cruise ship!

We loved the big movie screen and getting served free ice cream, popcorn, and milk and cookies!

Cons:

Our shore excursions were a bit of a mess. We reserved all of our excursions the day they became available online. The first day on the ship we got a letter saying one was canceled. We rebooked that and got a new ticket, only to have that one cancel too. The excursions themselves were ok. It's just so weird to get off a luxury cruise ship and onto the back of a sketch flat bed truck to get bussed off to your excursion. The same goes for Port Everglades. That place is no better than a below average bus stop.

Pre-paid tipping just seems like a poor system. I get charged 11.50 per day per person and yet gratuities are always added to any purchase and tipping cash still seems to be the norm. I guess I just don't get why Princess markets this as being a convenient service for the passenger?

Anytime Dining seemed a bit pointless. We called for an 8:30 reservation. After showing up at 8:15 we were given a pager and told to wait. We got seated at 8:40 in another dining room upstairs. It was 9:00 before we had our menus, water, and finally some bread. The service there was honestly pretty bad and the food not much different than buffet. I'm glad we only went to one formal night. Less

Read more Royal Princess cruise reviews >>