Carnival Valor Cruise Review by mrgoalie: Carnival Valor....good not great

Carnival Valor....good not great

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

For the price paid for the balcony room on the Lido deck, you couldn't beat it. We have been on 12 other cruises of which 8 were balconies,and this was the cheapest we have ever paid for a balcony.....so to Carnival, a big thank you.

I could go on a day by day breakdown but will refrain. Instead, some of the great, the good, the bad, & the ugly.

On the great side, our MDR waiter Gerald from the Washington dining room, THE BEST !!!!!!! Never did the gentleman miss the chance to call us by full name and remember EXACTLY what we liked or not after the first night. Incredible !!!!! He was by far the best in all our travels on the sea.

On the good, the customer service desk very attentive and helpful. Never did we feel like just another traveler. They did a very good job for the amount of "trying" guests that they deal with.

On the bad, no real surprise here THE BARS. The only way to assure yourself a "decent"/ "fair amount of alcohol for their More extremely "over the top prices" is to buy a bottled beer. No way they can short change you there. Otherwise.....WEAK !!!!!!!

On the ugly, along the lines of the above regarding the bar, never in my travels have I felt the need to complain about an individual, until my integrity is challenged. We asked for a specific martini to be made back in the martini bar per there drink menu. As I watched him make it, I noticed not once but twice he missed ingredients in my drink. I knew it when he handed to me but wanted to see what he was going to do when I complained....as expected not only did he deny it, he proceeded to tell me I was "crazy". If that wasn't bad enough, within 5 seconds the couple next to me which I never met said the exact same thing about their order. This bartender then proceeded to tell them they were "dead wrong" and that he didn't make any mistake. That was the straw that broke the camels back. I proceeded to the guest service desk to track down the beverage captain ( see above on guest service desk) who in 2 minutes addressed my concerns not only by removing the cost of our drinks and was extremely apologetic, but also remove the bartender with a brand new associate. Within an hour that bar was jammed with people who seemed VERY satisfied with the service and their drinks. That first bartender had no business being in that position. Kudos to the beverage captain for "listening" and then reacting.

The other issue I will briefly touch on is the embarkation process........WHAT A COMPLETE and utter "cluster mess". There is no excuse for some of the things I saw.... to many to mention. they have some work to do in San Juan on this issue. Never again will we go to San Juan to board ANY ship. On the debarkation process, I suggest carrying your own luggage off if you want to avoid the sea of luggage in the terminal....ugh, thank goodness we did.

I could find 5 other things both good and open for opportunities, but overall things were fine. I would go Carnival again if the price was right but not at a premium. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>