Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by jdechter

Cruise Date: December 2006
Cabin Category: 4G
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean
This was my second cruise on Carnival Liberty, my 18th cruise total. I booked one week in advance a 1A guarantee cruising solo. I managed to get a 4G at the port on Panorama Deck. I flew in the day before and got a hotel on Priceline for $79--Bahia Mar, It was okay, I prefer 17th st location. They do have a Sun Trolley that goes right to Publix and the Water Taxi stops there as well. However, I found it to be isolated.

I took a cab to the port around 1:00 and there was no line. Got onboard an checked out shore excursion desk, then went to lunch. Was assigned late seating and boy was it late 8:30. However, I had a table of 8 that I enjoyed. It was a good mix so I stuck with it. I really enjoyed the ship and the cruise much better than the year previous. The ports were good, the weather great.

In Freeport, I took a cab to the shops at Lucaya and then went to the beach. If you walk to the right as you face the beach, it becomes emptier and its really pretty and uncrowded. In Grand Cayman, there were 8 ships so I decided to do an excursion with Nativeway. I got off early and shopped first,then took the excursion to see Rays, snorkel and go to Rum Point. The excursion was excellent, I highly recommend them. Rum Point was gorgeous and having been to 7 mile beach numerous times, I was glad for a change.

Costa Maya was wonderful despite there being 2 other ships. The port has lots of shops, a big pool and swim up bar, music, food, etc. I took a taxi to the town 10 minutes away. The beach there was great, good snorkeling off the shore. The reef there is shallow. Go early to avoid the crowds. It was hot that day, so I headed back to the port area, got on the ship for lunch, cleaned up and went back out to the shops. Did not really buy anything, but its a fun place to walk around

The ship entertainment was pretty good, although the comedian wasn't. The deck band AS IS was very good. The ship's food is standard cruise fare, although the dinners had a good selection. The gym is spacious and I enjoyed the steam room and spa jacuzzi. I was in no hurry to disembark as I had an afternoon flight so I took my time which was good. I was able to find my bag easily, got in a shuttle to the airport for $8. FLL was very crowded as it was the weekend before Christmas. Had some delays but got back to Los Angeles okay. Had a great week and met some good people.

Publication Date: 01/06/07