Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by TomKel

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: TomKel
Cruise Date: December 2006
Cabin Category: Q4
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

LuxuryOnly.com

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Eastern Caribbean
Our trip on the QM2, December 2- 9, 2006

With much anticipation we left Savannah Georgia December 1 and drove to Fort Lauderdale to stay at the Marriott Harbor Beach a great place, on the beach, rooms great. Could not wait till the morning when we would repack our bags and head to the port. When we arrived at the port we found many ships, lots of passengers, appeared to be much confusion. We finally found our berth, the port handlers took our luggage and then we waited, we waited, we waitedseemed like for ever. Having had two heart attacks recently, standing in a line for 1 to 2 hours was not going to work for me. I finally found a bench outside and sat. No information given as to why the long line or the long wait no communication!!

Finally we noticed the line had started to move and we headed to the door, with it seemed like thousands of other passengers, some quite angry and frustrated. We could not get a clear answer as to why the delay but it only took us a moment to see that none of the computers were working. One poor boat official was working on computers, no luck, would move to the other computer, again no luck. I will say he had a nice smile as he stood over the computers trying to get them to work. No one could tell us what was happening or when it would improve. Finally someone said the computers had blown in the early morning when the immigration folks told them to shut the computers down, for what reason I do not know. It appeared that with the computers blown, the replacement parts were either too few or non existent.

Yes, there was someone that pushed people aside to make room for wheelchair folks, this was also a mess, maybe 3 wheelchairs at most passed through.. Passengers continued to push their way through that special line. Eventually more security personal arrived and opened additional radar spots, so that area picked up speed quickly, then they joined everyone else behind ropes, with no official communications. After two hours of standing in line and starting to feel quite ill, I had to leave the line to sit on a stool by the computers. After 2 hours+, the lines slowly started to move. Have to say, the officials and staff of the QM2 were not helpful at all.

As we were leaving our sign - in area, one of the QM2 staff people called out to us that we had been up graded and gave us a card with out new room number. Feeling quite ill and had been looking forward to the room we had picked and wanted, we were told we have been upgraded to a room at the rear of the ship. Not a good way to start a trip.

Originally we picked a midships room hoping for the least amount of movement as I get sea sick. The picture of us in the rear of the ship with my asking for Phenergan shots every day did not thrill me at all. We had specifically asked our trip specialist NOT to allow the ship's folks to upgrade us. As up grade is fun and unexpected ALL passengers should be asked if they wish to upgrade by the cruise line. No one asked!!! When we said no to upgrade and that we wanted our original room we were told it had already been given away.

Luckily and happily it turned out to be a smooth ride, with little movement, which we were very grateful. The room was beautiful; our butler was the best-very helpful. On good weather days we ate breakfast and lunch out on our balcony. Lots of fun.

Another frustration was that no one was available when we finally boarded to give us directions to our new cabin, in the middle of this huge/long hall trying to read the maps and locations to our cabin and deck. Luckily, a room steward walked by, we asked for help. She took us up to our deck and welcomed us to our cabin. Thank heavens she happened to walk by.

On the positive side, we loved the ship!!! We ate our dinners in the Queen's Grill, food was outstanding, the wait staff very professional and helpful, could not have been better.

The spa was a true treat, everyone there was great-treatments were a pleasure. Recommend it to everyone. Never heard one sales pitch.

Sorry to say the Todd English restaurant was a disappointment. Food okay, nothing special! When you arrive for dinner you expect to have a table waiting for you, not true you are given a tour of the restaurant while others eating asking if you like this or that table. We were embarrassed. We were finally seated by the window where the cooks etc, were preparing the outside deck for an evening buffet. We loved sitting there and watching veggie artist at work. The staff in the Todd English restaurant was okay, the wine steward was quite friendly till my husband said all he wanted was a glass of wine as I can not drink and he did not want to pay for a full bottle. Her smile disappeared and was slow in getting him his glass of wine. We did not wish to eat there again on this trip.

Sorry to say, while on this trip, I experienced heart issues that required a stay in the ship's Intensive Care Unit. It was hard for me to realize I was onboard a ship as the QM2 medical area is as well organized and supplied with a physician and nurses as any complete ER in the USA. All their equipment is up to US standards, the physician knew immediately what treatment I needed and I received it. Because of the excellent treatment I did not have to be air lifted off the ship and once stable I returned to my cabin and happily continued on with our trip.

One recommendation the physician gave me and I will do this with every trip from now on is to bring with you on board a health history, either by letter or CD. This physician said if I had fainted or unable to communicate he would have had no idea how to treat me. He attempted to reach my home physician but was unable to get through so please everyone, diabetic, heart patient, etc. please bring your history when you travel. Even one of the health bracelets you can obtain from your pharmacy would be a great value when you travel.

We did not go on any of the offered shore trips as were we happy to stay on board and so can not critique

Once back in to Fort Lauderdale, getting off the ship was a piece of cake. Everything was well organized and in no time we were in our car headed to Savannah.

We would recommend the QM2 to one and all, a great experience. We are now waiting for the Victoria to come on line.

Publication Date: 12/25/06