Carnival Glory Cruise Review by poptart: Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: November 2006
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Carnival Glory 11/25/06 - 12/02/06

Our group was 3 couples DH & me - Charles and Debbie aka Poptart Daughter and son-in-law Cheri and Allen Friends Marion and Carolyn

Port Canaveral is very nice and fairly well organized.

We spent 2 nights pre-cruise at the Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach. Room was adequate and very clean and the motel grounds, pool and beach area was excellent. We got a bargain price from AAA (due to a CC bud) so we were pleased. If I had paid more I would have expected the room to be much nicer.

I also met up with our Cruise Critic roll call group all thru the week. What a wonderful group of new found friends. That really made this cruise special.

We had a wonderful cruise and a lot of fun. The ocean was very rough and we had a lot of rocking and rolling on the ship. That's up to mother nature--not Carnival!! We left port at 4 and by the 9:45 Welcome aboard show it was too rough for the dancers to perform so they More cancelled. The second production show was also cancelled on Thursday night and was rescheduled for 5:00 on Friday one performance only. Lots of passengers and crew were sick. Cheri lived (3 or 4 a day) on no drowsy Bonine but did fine after the first night. Carolyn even got sick a time or two. It was a rough trip. The rest of us were fine. I like the motion of the ocean so I actually think rough seas are fun--I know I'm a weirdo.

Cabins We all had excellent room stewards. Clean cabins and good service.

Charles and Debbie cabin 8349--balcony, nice cabin, plenty of space, excellent location for convenience BUT very noisy.  they must spend the night scooting the chairs around on the lido deck. fortunately we can sleep thru anything.

Marion & Carolyn cat 11 suite on deck 7 - what can you say - AWESOME!

Cheri & Allen inside 8419 - the smallest inside cabin I have ever seen on any Carnival ship. You could barely walk around the bed. There was not even room for a chair. I went into someone else's inside cabin #8357 and it was much larger than 8419. I don't know which one is standard the larger one or the smaller.

Food and dining For the 1st time in 8 cruises we didn't get the dining time we requested. We requested 6:15 and got 5:45 ouch that 30 minutes makes a big difference. Saw the maitre di (that was a joke) at 12:45 as soon as we boarded and he said No, changes, 6:15 is full due to 2 larges groups on board He wouldn't even change us to 8:00 (We never saw any large groups so we don't know who they were.) but I did talk to other passengers who were changed from 6:15 to 8 or 8:30 and he wouldn't budge for them either. No tips for him! He stopped by our table the next to the last night to ask how it was going. My hubby wouldn't let us complain so we just smiled and he went on. Hubby says they had too many tables to wait on and were doing the best they could. I didn't agree. We had the worst waiter and dining room service that we've ever had on a cruise. And the food wasn't up to par with what we've had on other Carnival ships. I had read a lot of complaints about the food on the Glory on Cruise Critic--but you know how you take what you read with a grain of salt--but it was true. Food "sucked" Marion will eat anything and even he didn't like it. We didn't go hungry--but we ate a lot of pizza, deli and room service. Excellent BLT's. One night we sat at our table for 35 minutes before even getting water and bread!!! It was so bad we actually ate at the buffet a couple of nights instead of dealing with the dining room. We've never done that before. We left our tips on the card--but didn't tip extra as we normally do. We probably should have deducted some for the dining room. I personally wouldn't recommend the Glory to my friends just because of the food. Everything else was very okay.

Entertainment Dave in the piano bar - lots of fun! Karaoke-fun An excellent singer in the casino bar area This little Manila band in one of the bars was awesome. 50's 60's dance party was fun Production shows were okay, not the best--but fun. One comedian was good the other one stunk.

Casino very nice, Charles made several donations! He usually wins a little but this cruise all he could do was loose!

Decks Crowded on seas days but we liked lying out on the "upper" decks with a view of the ocean during sea days, and we never had a problem with chairs. The slide is fun, makes you feel like a kid again Ports Nassau--we just shopped and bought several purses at the Straw Market. St. Thomas-- We did the ships excursion to St. John. and Trunk Bay. $59pp AWESOME!! Then we took the skyride to Paradise point. That was a lot of fun too. Yummy bushwhackers. St. Martin. -- Cheryl and Allen rented a Harley Davidson and they had a ball. The covered the whole island. The ship offered the excursion for $395--they did it themselves online pre-cruise and got the bike for $150. Charles and I and been to St Martin before and did an all day excursion and saw the whole island so this time we took the ships Little Divi Resort--beach excursion $45 each and it included lunch. We loved it. Had a wonderful beach day and lunch and still had plenty of time to take the water taxi to the boardwalk to shop and try some conch fritters.

Well, that was our cruise. If you've got questions ask away, I'll try to answer. Out of all my Carnival cruise the Glory is my least favorite ship. (and we loved the Conquest) I think we just prefer the smaller ships. We are planning a spring cruise on the Holiday with Marion and Carolyn who've already sailed her twice and just loved it.

Happy Sails and Merry Christmas.

Oh yeah, thanks to other review on Cruise Critic I did try a Kiss on the Lips drink several times - yummy!! Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>