Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by lillady

Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Pride of Aloha - Hawaii
After we had booked this trip for our honeymoon, I found this site and the reviews. It made me quite nervous. Originally we had a balcony room, but at the last minute, there was a cancellation and we were offered an owner's suite at about 1/2 the regular price, so we took it. If we had paid full price for the suite, I would have been furious afterwards.

Embarkation was fine, as was the pre cruise hotel, car rental etc. Our room was huge, balcony, hot tub, sitting room with a sofa, table and tv, bedroom, 2 bathrooms, kitchenette and lots of storage. We had butler service and could eat dinner in our cabin every night, even from the specialty restaurants. We found the room service to be great, in part, I believe because of the type of room we had. I had heard other passengers in standard rooms complain bitterly about lack of service. We also caught a glimpse of the other rooms and they were very small, basically room enough for the bed and that's it.

Our room, although large and filled with amenities, was very run down, stains on the rug and furniture, the bed was two cots put together that were very uncomfortable and the bathroom smelled terribly of mildew. I had asked them to come in to take care of it, they tried but it didn't help very much. The housekeeping was fair. There was rust all over the shower and they didn't clean it very well, there was all kinds of hair and other crap under the shower map. I flipped it over and put it aside so that they would clean it. They simply flipped it back and left it dirty. We showed the butler who had it fixed immediately. I was surprised by the condition of room given the category of it.

Now, the food in the main restaurants was absolutely AWFUL. I was hoping the previous reviews were wrong, but they weren't. And we are not that picky. The main dining rooms and the buffet were the worst I have ever tasted on any vacation including other cruises. We had several lunches in Hawaii at fast food places that were far superior. And if you came back from an excursion after 3pm, there was no where to get any food, except limited room service.

However, the Asian Fusion speciality restaurant was actually quite good and the service was spectacular. The French speciality restaurant was also pretty good.

We had room service for breakfast every morning which was pretty decent.

Hawaii was amazing and we loved the excursions, particularly to Pearl Harbor and the Tubing the Ditch.

I would go back to Hawaii in a second, but I will never travel on NCL again. After traveling on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, it just does not compare.

Publication Date: 12/08/06