Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by cruiser218

Disney Fantasy
Member Name: cruiser218
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
        10-12 6.0

A Fantastical Voyage!

This was our second cruise with DCL but the first DCL cruise for our 11 almost 12 years old daughter. See the ship docked at the terminal as we were arriving via the Disney shuttle, we were bouncing out of our seats from excitement. We couldn't wait to be on the ship.

Once inside the terminal, there were 2 lines - one for new passengers and one for returning passengers. As my husband and I are silver castaway members, we were prepared and ready to wait in the very long line for returning passengers. Some friendly cast member saw us and pointed us to the new passengers line. There were very few people in this line so we were able to breeze through to the pre-sail pictures and then onto the ship. The lobby is absolutely magnificent! As we were not able to get to our stateroom right away, we headed off to Cabanas and had an amazing lunch. Our daughter was very impressed with the different pizzas available.

After lunch, we made our way to our stateroom - 5186. To my surprise, the room was much bigger than what I had thought. Since it was an accessible room, we didn't have the split bath or round bathtub. And so much storage space!! And the bedding was really comfortable too. The room had a couch that converted to a bed for our daughter though she switched to the Pullman bed after a couple of nights.

It was quite rocky out the first night. The ship did rock back and forth and my poor daughter developed a really bad headache from it. She even skipped dinner because she felt awful. I felt awful as I didn't want her first DCL cruise to leave her with such bad memories. By the next day, everything was smooth sailing and she was fine and ready for all the ice cream she could eat.

As our daughter was in this in-between age, she was able to go to either Oceaneer's Club or The Edge. We signed her in to both but she ended spending a lot of time at Edge. She made several new friends there and many nights she stayed until it closed.

Our first port was Grand Cayman and my husband and I did venture to shore. Unfortunately it rained so bad that we ended returning to the ship. The second port was Costa Maya and my husband and daughter did the Dolphin Swim there. I was in charge of taking pictures as I refused to go into deep waters. My daughter had a blast with the dolphin. We are sure that had we allowed it, she would have taken the dolphin home. The third port was Cozumel and my husband and I just strolled along the streets while our daughter stayed on-board with her friends.

The rotational dining experience and the food were quite exceptional. One of my husband's best food memories is the giant lobster tail for the Captain's Gala dinner. He had that plus another meat entree that night.

Years ago when my husband and I sailed on the Magic, we had dinner at Palo's. What we remember most were the calamari and the chocolate souffle. Of course, this time around, we made sure we ordered those. The calamari was excellent. The presentation of the chocolate souffle was different but it was extremely delicious nonetheless. I could have lived off the souffle for the entire cruise.

This was actually also the first time we went to Castaway Cay. When we sailed the Magic years before, the weather was really bad and we had to detour to Mexico instead. I'm not usually a beach person, but on Castaway Cay, I'm willing to be stranded there. It is so beautiful there and the water is so clear and everything is so clean. Unfortunately, my husband may remember Castaway Cay as the place he lost his sunglasses.

On the the 5th night, Pirate Night, the fireworks had to be cancelled because the weather was really bad. The Pirate show had to be moved indoors as well. It was so bad that you couldn't walk in a straight line. Again, it got so bad that my daughter had one heck of a headache and didn't even want to take pictures with Pirate Mickey. Thankfully we were only second in line to get our pictures taken so once that was done, back to the cabin we go so she could sleep it off.

Oh, what can I say about the shows? Excellent!! Aladdin was hilarious. Especially genie!! And of course, the adult entertainment was exceptionally funny. Sometimes I forget I'm on DCL, with some of the things people would do.

Were there any negative things about our trip? Well, I had a little difficulty working the washer (they are tiny) but a cast member from housekeeping came and helped me. Oh, there was this one guy at the port excursions table. He was rather rude. When we asked about the activities at Castaway Cay, he just pointed to the little write up in the brochure. He didn't even try telling us about it. Other than that, we really didn't encounter too much negative stuff (except for the weather but that can't be controlled). Or maybe we just enjoyed ourselves too much to let little things get to us!

One day soon, we hope, we can sail with DCL again!

Publication Date: 11/22/13