Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by cruisinsly

Carnival Miracle
Member Name: cruisinsly
Cruise Date: November 2006
Embarkation: Tampa
See More About: Carnival Miracle Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean
This was a belated honeymoon for DH and myself. This is my 6th cruise, and my husbands first. We cruised November 12-19. We were in room 5299. ****BEWARE**** I am a horrible speller.

We left Nashville on Southwest airlines at 10 in the morning going to Tampa. We arrived at the airport extremely early since we didn't know how the security lines would be. We were through the lines in 15 minutes. I had our boarding passes printed the night before and were in group A. Since we had arrived so early, we were the first ones to board the plane. We arrived into Tampa around 1pm. Our best friend was there to pick us up at the airport. Since she lives in St. Pete we were staying with her the night before.

She surprised us and had limo service pick us up the next day to take us to the port. We arrived there around 10:30ish. While waiting to go into the terminal, my husband spotted a coffee house and abandoned me. I started to talk to the couple ahead of us. Line starts to move, husband is nowhere to be seen. We get to the front doors, and they make me wait for him. So I tell my new friends bye and hope to see them.

Finally, he showed up. We had our fun passes filled out. Standing in line for the fun pass was about 5 minutes long. Painless. We then walked into the waiting area and found our new friends. Talked to them for a while and realized that they were cruise critic members that I had talked to on a roll call. What are the chances of that?

The ship is beautiful. We really couldn't understand what they were going for with the decor. Renaissance, purple grapes, New York, fantasy... don't know quite what they were going for. I did not see a lot of wear and tear on the ship. They seem to keep everything clean and repaired. Our room was right on the aft of the ship. We had a balcony. Very nice. My husband was surprised that the bathroom was bigger than he imagined. Our room steward was great. His name is Charlem. We gave him 2 bags of chocolate the first night. The first 3 days or so, every time we saw him, he thanked us for the chocolate, and let us know how much he liked it.

Food.... Buffet was a hit or miss. Some times it was real good, other times, it was just ok. Chocolate buffet was on the last day at sea at lunch on the lido deck. The dining room was always good. Not great, but good. Our waiter was Luis, with David as assistant, and we were at table 365. Every night, each person at our table ordered 2 starters, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts. Room service has changed since the last time I had cruised. Great selection. Focaccia sandwich was our favorite. Did not get to go to Nick and Nora's.

couldn't tell you a lot about the cruise director, Chris, because we hardly saw him. When we did, he was good. Only played bingo once. didn't win. Spent $20 in the casino. I use to work in one, and just don't like to gamble. My husband sang Karaoke quite a bit. Another cruise critic member did too, and won the part of Frank Sinatra for the Carnival Legends show the last night. He was awesome! Karaoke was fun.

We went up and danced at the 70 and 80's party on the lido deck. That was fun. Missed the beer and bathrobe party due to karaoke. We did go into Frankensteins one night and asked them to play more 80's type music. There was only 5 or 6 of us in there. They told us that they couldn't because the music was too suggestive. A couple of nights later, we heard this type of music in there.

We didn't see all of the shows because my honey just didn't care for them. What I did see, I thought they were good. Tried the piano bar one night, and the guy at the piano singing was way off key. didn't go back there. Sports bar looked interesting. Loved the decor of Mad Hatters.

Ports -

Grand Cayman - We went on the Island Tour through the ship. Save your money and do it yourself. It was nice, but we could have done the same thing cheaper. Did a little shopping, and then went back to the ship.

Cozumel - We shared a taxi with another couple to downtown. We went to the Island Museum. Very neat. About 5 rooms with artifacts and local art. One outside room with a Mayan hut. Inside the hut was an old Mayan man who invited us in and told us all about the Mayan civilization. We shopped a little after that, and then went to Fat Tuesdays for eats and drinks. They had a real good chips and guacamole dish. Drinks were real strong. We met another couple back at the port who told us in one of the stores you can buy beer for $1.

Belize - Didn't do an excursion there. Just went shopping.

Costa Maya - Loved this place. We took a bus to Majahul (the fishing village). Another couple introduced themselves to us and we hung out with them at Pez Quadro for most of the day. It was beautiful here. We noticed that a lot of the entertainers from the ship came here to hang out. $2 beers, and $3 tequila shots. I don't know how we made it back to the ship. All I can say, my face was numb... couldn't feel a thing. Be careful in Costa Maya. When we got back to the port, where the pool is at, we went into the little craft market and bought our son some maracas. The guy who sold them then told us that he smoked pot twice a day and could get us some if we wanted. We declined and made a fast exit to the ship. Didn't want any part of that.

Once we were cleared by customs, we made our way to the place where the luggage is waiting for you. We decided not to do self assist. Had problems trying to find a porter. The first few that went by said that they already had customers. We tried for about 15 minutes to find one. Finally, my husband went and found one on the other side of the room. As he was leading him our way, a old woman porter walked up to the porter and told him that she needed him for someone else. I told her as she walked by that she had just stolen the porter that we had gone and found. She looked a little confused. So I told her again that my husband had just went and found this porter and she stole him from us. She was extremely rude. She said she was going to find one for us, but we could see that she just moved to a different area of the room. We decided to just make do, and try to get it all ourselves.

We had a limo waiting for us to take us back to our friends house. Our flight was leaving at 9:30pm, so we had a lot of time to kill.

Overall, we had a blast. We didn't do a whole lot of activities that the ship offered. We just wanted to have fun, and meet people. I would definitely recommend the Miracle. Excellent service!

Publication Date: 11/22/06