Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by cruzin_ga_gal

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by cruzin_ga_gal
Brilliance of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Member Name: cruzin_ga_gal
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Boston
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Brilliance of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Brilliance of the Seas Deck Plans
Brilliance - a great change from the Caribbean!

This was the last cruise that DH and I planned together before he passed away in May. We had originally scheduled this cruise for 9/29, but found out after planning that we were going to be grandparents again on 9/26. Figuring that the original date was too close to the baby coming, we rescheduled for week of 10/20. That said, this was a solo cruise for me.

I flew into Boston on the day of sailing. I arrived at 12:30 and took a taxi ($30) to the terminal. Most of the guests must have been early, as the terminal seemed deserted. I checked in, went straight to my room to drop my hand carried bags and went looking for lunch. I had peaked in the windjammer and saw that it was packed. Remembering that there was a Park Café, I checked and it was nearly empty. The Park Café is always mentioned as a great place for lunch, but either people are not reading the reviews, or they forget about it, as I had been several times for lunch (love the salad - always fresh) and it was never busy.

The ship is very nice, but I won't review as my thoughts will just be redundant of all the accolades from the previous member reviews. The reviews on the MDR are both good and bad. I think the food was good. There were no particular meals that hit me as outstanding, but it is good, plentiful, and always served with a smile.

Our sea day was cut short and we headed straight to St. Johns due to a medical emergency. I had later heard that the ship was charged an additional $70,000 for the early berthing and time at port. It is good to know that a passenger's health took priority over cost to RCCL. It does make one consider the steps RCCL takes for the safety and well being of it's passengers and it's comforting to know that they would go above and beyond for a passenger. Good call Captain Steig!

Disembarkation was quick. Although they call by tag number, by the time the first tag is called, all the luggage is set up warehouse style by number. it keeps the flow smooth, but all people called, move in at once to their number, causing a back up. Although I had a 12:30 flight out of Boston, I was off the ship, baggage in hand, in a taxi ($25 - no Ted Williams Tunnel toll) and at the airport by 10am. I was able to get an earlier flight and was back in Atlanta by 12:45.

Overall it was a great cruise. The ship's wear and tear is not as noticeable as some make it seem, but then again, there was too much to see and do to worry about a stain on the carpet. As long as the beds were comfortable (which they were) and the stateroom stayed clean (which it did), I was happy.

Publication Date: 11/20/13
Read the Canada & New England ports review by cruzin_ga_gal
More Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Brilliance of the Seas review Read the next Brilliance of the Seas review

More Royal Caribbean Reviews