Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by cruzin_ga_gal: Brilliance - a great change from the Caribbean!

cruzin_ga_gal
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Brilliance of the Seas Canada & New England Cruises

Brilliance - a great change from the Caribbean!

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Boston

This was the last cruise that DH and I planned together before he passed away in May. We had originally scheduled this cruise for 9/29, but found out after planning that we were going to be grandparents again on 9/26. Figuring that the original date was too close to the baby coming, we rescheduled for week of 10/20. That said, this was a solo cruise for me.

I flew into Boston on the day of sailing. I arrived at 12:30 and took a taxi ($30) to the terminal. Most of the guests must have been early, as the terminal seemed deserted. I checked in, went straight to my room to drop my hand carried bags and went looking for lunch. I had peaked in the windjammer and saw that it was packed. Remembering that there was a Park Café, I checked and it was nearly empty. The Park Café is always mentioned as a great place for lunch, but either people are not reading the reviews, or they forget about it, as I had been several times for lunch (love the salad - always fresh) and it More was never busy.

The ship is very nice, but I won't review as my thoughts will just be redundant of all the accolades from the previous member reviews. The reviews on the MDR are both good and bad. I think the food was good. There were no particular meals that hit me as outstanding, but it is good, plentiful, and always served with a smile.

Our sea day was cut short and we headed straight to St. Johns due to a medical emergency. I had later heard that the ship was charged an additional $70,000 for the early berthing and time at port. It is good to know that a passenger's health took priority over cost to RCCL. It does make one consider the steps RCCL takes for the safety and well being of it's passengers and it's comforting to know that they would go above and beyond for a passenger. Good call Captain Steig!

Disembarkation was quick. Although they call by tag number, by the time the first tag is called, all the luggage is set up warehouse style by number. it keeps the flow smooth, but all people called, move in at once to their number, causing a back up. Although I had a 12:30 flight out of Boston, I was off the ship, baggage in hand, in a taxi ($25 - no Ted Williams Tunnel toll) and at the airport by 10am. I was able to get an earlier flight and was back in Atlanta by 12:45.

Overall it was a great cruise. The ship's wear and tear is not as noticeable as some make it seem, but then again, there was too much to see and do to worry about a stain on the carpet. As long as the beds were comfortable (which they were) and the stateroom stayed clean (which it did), I was happy. Less

Read more Brilliance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Brilliance of the Seas Review >>

Acadia National Park

(5)

This was a combination, Acadia National Park, Cadillac Mountain and lobster lunch. The views from the top of Cadillac Mountain were awesome. Acadia National Park was open and we were told that due to the many entrances to the park, it was never fully closed due to the shutdown.

Peggy's Cove

(3)

This was a combination tour of Peggy's Cove and Titanic cemetery. Peggy's Cove is a very picturesque fishing village. There is nothing to do there except to take pictures. The excursion spent too much time here and not enough in the Titanic cemetery.

Getting back on the bus in Peggy's Cove, there was too much confusion of where people were sitting. The guide was very school marmish telling people where to sit. We were all adults, but I felt that it wasted time, while people played musical seats and were chastised by the guide.

The Titanic Gravesite is interesting. The gravesites are shaped in the form of a bow of a ship. It is sad to see so many still unnamed dead. I would have liked to had more time to read more of the gravestones.

If one has never been, LL Bean is the place to see. It is larger than any Bass Pro Shop, REI or Dicks that I have ever seen. It also has many vintage LL Bean gear on display. The area surrounding the LL Bean store was my favorite. I was able to shop, go to Customer Service and ship home for free. The other stores in the area are typical mall stores. The only thing that I didn't like about this was the bus took off and left passengers to sit in the cold to wait for the return back to the ship.

City Tour

(3)

Other than the Bay of Fundy there really isn't a lot to do in this city.