Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by surfandsandman: Not smooth sailing

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Not smooth sailing

Sail Date: November 2013

We are both Platinum Crown and Anchor members so I am disappointed to write such a negative review after so many good experiences. As another reviewer wrote the cost accountants have taken over especially regarding the food. Watered down OJ in the morning. Rubbery scrambled eggs, very plain toast except in Windjammer where I discovered a few pieces of nice seeded bread. Cheap sugar-laden yogurt...why not a nice Greek yogurt. Yet Chops goes overboard with their sides... for two of us a baked potato the size of a football, 45 onion rings, a pound of green beans and a huge plate of mushrooms.

Don't waste your money on the "Dining with Chef" promotion. While the room was nice, the chef was a super nice man who explained everything in detail and his assistants worked hard, the food was a let-down for all at the table. As one person said, there was nothing served that rated a "Wow, that's great!" It was all attractive, but not particularly tasty.

Allure is a cross between More Disneyland and Las Vegas in my opinion and we would never go back. Of course some people are much more tolerant than I am about certain things, however our experience was very long lines for every meal, even with reservations. Children in the dining room made conversation almost impossible. The final straw was the hour and 20 minute line to get our bags and go through immigration to leave the ship. Even with a porter we snaked back and forth for so long I felt feint. No water to drink, no bathrooms.

Labadee was just an average beach with more long lines especially to go through security to get back on the ship. At Jamaica, I counted 65 large buses taking people on excursions. It took almost an hour for our bus to get through the gate and start the drive to the falls. You have to pass through a shopping mall full of jewelry stores first.

We had an outside cabin with balcony on which we expected to enjoy being on, however on both sides of us were smokers of very strong cigarettes. We either kept our balcony door closed or the smoke filled our room. Fortunately after complaining enough I reached George Nestorov the Assistant Front Desk Manager who acted very quickly to have us change cabins. He was a gem who followed up and made sure everything else was to our liking. A true hospitality professional. Be careful that you get an outside balcony as the inside balconies ( I think RCCL calls them neighborhood balconies ) are facing all the activities and music often until late at night. We spoke to several people who hated them.

As we are a couple interested in a romantic holiday, we were put off by the large crowds everywhere, so many kids, and general chaos we were so pleased to find Vintages, a quite tapas bar with four really outstanding bartenders who were quick, professional and had lots of stories to tell. A really fun place that we will miss.

The shows I found average for cruise ships, however the comedians cracked us up and were a bright spot for us. Similarly the Love and Marriage show was great fun.

In my opinion, if you have a family of smaller children this is probably a great place to go as their are cartoon characters walking around, pools with fountains and other attractions geared to children. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>