Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by kjkearney

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by kjkearney
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: kjkearney
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Shore Excursions 5+

Nice clean ship and great ports of call

The western Caribbean ports were great fun and the land packages we choice were all well run and very entertaining. The locals we met were all polite and helpful.

We had a balcony cabin for three people and an extra bed came down from the ceiling which the room steward would arrange each evening. Our room steward was friendly and very efficient and helpful. The Ship no longer does towel animals, which was a disappointment. I always looked forward to see what creative thing the steward had done with a towel each evening.

On this cruise the embarked children appeared under control and were at age appropriate events. Other cruises allowed them to roam in and out of casinos, bars and adult entertainment venues. They all appeared to be enjoying the activities available when you did see them.

The food was very good in the buffet and the main dining room. The food service was efficient to the point of being rushed. The waiters were also too specialized for my tastes. If you wanted a drink, for instance, the head waiter wouldn't take your drink order instead he referred you to a drink waiter who was not there but "coming". The drink waiter came over eventually but it turned out he was the soft drink waiter, but he would get the adult beverage waiter who would eventually turn up. Good luck trying to get a second glass.

I ordered wine from the menu and specified it by the menu number but the waiters English was sufficiently limited that ordering by name and by item number from their own menu would not ensure that you received your order. I would receive a white wine when I ordered a red and so on. It seemed too much trouble to ask for the correct order as you could see that they were trying their best. Perhaps that is why it felt rushed. The crew overall spoke passible English but this was the first cruise ship I was on where they were limited to simple requests, and then not getting them right.

The Portofino Italian restaurant was outstanding with excellent food and very good service. The ship also has a Johnny Rockets which is great for an excellent shake and cheeseburger. Here the waiters had limited English again but made up for it with enthusiasm.

The only other problem I encountered on the entire cruise was in the casino bar. The bartenders studiously ignored us and refused eye contact. We waited 20 minutes to order and then gave up and went around to find a roving waiter. This happened three nights running. I assumed it was a show of hostility to Americans as they seemed to preferentially serve the foreign guests. The drinks I did manage to get were fairly large and well made. I simply stopped ordering drinks as it was too much trouble. I guess Bacchus was not with me this cruise.

The cruise director, Richard, whom many passengers said was the best they had ever seen, was ubiquitous. He inserted himself in every entertainment venue for "the Richard" show. It was scandalous self promotion and I got bored with him after the second day. Richard, you can't sing, you can't dance and you can barely tell a joke. Please leave it to the professionals. Next year in 2014 the Richard Show will be disgracing the Quantum of the Seas. He will be expected to routinely insult the passengers, just kidding, demean his female co workers, they deserve it, and repetitively play the wannabe star, if only he had talent. Maybe I just needed a drink.

Publication Date: 11/20/13