Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by amarilloj: Wheelchair Cruise to Eastern Caribbean

Norwegian Epic 5
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Wheelchair Cruise to Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: March 2013

I am 678 years old and use a manual wheelchair for mobility. We took a familly cruise with 4 cabins in 3/13 on the Epic. My wife and I had a handicapped room with balcony that was very rromy with a very large balcony. The balcony had a bulkhead toward the front of the ship, but it did substantially obstruct our view. The balcony accomodated my wheelchair as well as the chair, 2 chairs, and a ssmall table and was easily accessible from the room. The shower and lavatory facility was easily accessible. Although the toilet seat was small with no split seat, it was very usable. The room has lots of storage capabilities anf a double rod closet that allowed the top rod to be pulled down for wheelchair access. Note the corridors by the rooms are pretty narrow when in a wheelchair, our room was very close to the aft elevator. Many floor coverings on the ship are carpeted, so rolling a wheelchair is a little strenuous when alone.

Note that although the ship has a fore and aft elevator, More not all floors are served by the aft elevator. We found that rolling from the aft elevator to the entertainment venues in the front of the ship a real long push over the carpet and thru the smokey and sometimes crowded casino, but discovered it easier to use the outdoor running or shuffleboard surfaces for quickly and easily rolling from one end of the ship to the other, although you may have utilize both elevators. The crew was extremely helpful to me throughout. They would carry my try and help select items at the buffet, accomodated my seating needs in resturants and shows, and ssjust showed exceptional courtesy. There are many haandicapped accessible restrooms throughout the ship. Shore excursions were limited, but was fully mobil the day I stayed alone on the ship while the rest of our party we ashore. Less

Published 11/19/13

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review:

The room is very well apppointed with wheelchair accessible amenities. The balcony is oversized and easily accomodated my manual wheeelchair in addition to the balcony furniture already there. Although there is a bulkhead fore of the balcony, it did not significantly affect our view of cruising pleassure. The room is quiet and the room/balcony transition is very smooth and easily negotiable alone.

Skip X