Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by CBriggs

Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Charleston
Destination: Bahamas
Value-for-Money 5+

Carnival Fantasy was GREAT!

My sister and I decided to get away by our self for the first time in many years. No husbands, ex husbands, boyfriends, children or live-in mother. We chose the Carnival Fantasy because we could easily drive there from Charlotte in 3 hours.

To start with we got a very good price that made it affordable for our tight budgets. We just started looking for cruise deals several months in advance. We chose the last week in October, which included Halloween our unexpected bonus.

We drove right up to the port with no problem and got parked and through the check in process quickly. We were in our cabin in no time. Next time I may not check my suitcase so that I can have my bag a little quicker - but no complaint - it was put in our room and not left outside the door.

First day on the ship was nice and calm. Breakfast was good with so many choices. We did the brunch in the dining room and was very happy with our choice. Dinner was very good - but not real fancy - I don't need fancy. The outdoor grills were busy with a line almost all the time. The Asian Grill was good - but not worth the wait. We didn't touch a cheeseburger, fry or pizza the whole time we were there.

For our days in port we chose not to do the excursions to save money. In Nassau we took the city bus to the Sheraton Resort where you can buy a day pass for $30, $40 if you want lunch. We are so happy that we did this, we had a great time. You can use their pools, beach and lunch was worth the money. The next day in Freeport we took a $5 cab to the Grand Lacayan. The day pass was only $15 - well worth it to use the beautiful pools. Lunch by the pool was great and the bar was wonderful. Shopping across the street was fun and I bought some rum you can't get in the states. This is a great way to have fun while in port and not drop a lot of money.

Halloween on board was a hoot. We will do this again next year. The costume contest was the highlight of the trip. We had so much fun even though we didn't dress up. We just found a comfortable place to sit and watched the parade go by.

I will say that we got GREAT service and adored our cabin staff. They did deserve a little extra tip. The dining room staff was very entertaining and quick. Over all I think the whole staff was wonderful.

My only complaint is that the music by the pool is MUCH too loud. It is difficult to relax when you are being pelted with rap music. I would have liked to have a little steel band music since it is suppose to be an island cruise.

Publication Date: 11/19/13