Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by funtimes420

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by funtimes420
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: funtimes420
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Lacks Attention to detail...

So I just got off the Splendor this morning and was left a little disappointed.

I took my first cruise in April 2013 on the Carnival Freedom and absolutely loved every minute of it. I couldn't wait to get back on a cruise ship and when we found friends were going to be sailing we didn't hesitate to tag along.

I had high expectations getting on the Splendor and couldn't wait to be on deck with my DOTD. Embarkation went very smoothly and with FTTF we were on the ship withing 10 minutes. Other people in the group that did not have FTTF were in line for 1 1/2 hours. We got to the port around 11:45 a.m.

Once on the ship we went to our room which was ready thanks to FTTF and 2 of the 3 bags were delivered shortly after. They couldn't find 1 bag and we finally received it around 6 p.m. Make sure you have name and address on everything. The next day we received a letter with our Funtimes that someone was missing luggage asking guest to check their rooms.

The first 2 Sea Days went well. The ship had a lot of movement from the water but nothing too bad. Couldn't really use the outdoor pools until the 2nd Sea day and they were still cold. But thats to be expected from a November cruise from NY.

Our first stop was Port Canaveral and just as luck would have it some tropical weather was going through making it very windy. Our intentions were to go to Cocoa Beach and then shopping. It's a Carnival excursion for $16.99. If it wasn't so windy it would have been a nice beach day. The shopping part of the trip was walking around 4 blocks of little stores that will take you less then a half hour (unless you stop to eat something). Personally, I think this is a wasted stop. I don't even think it's worth the money to do Disney in the time they give you. But that's just me.

Our 2nd stop was Nassau Bahamas. This was one of the main reasons we took this cruise and planned to do the Aqua Adventure Atlantis Excursion. We got up, ate breakfast and went to the Theater which is where we were to leave from. When we went down we saw we were about a cruise ship length from the dock. By the time we got to the theater an announcement came over the speakers that it was too windy to dock and we had to turn around. Still not sure of the true story. I'm all for safety first but 2 cruise ships came in before us without a problem and then someone said we were late getting to port and Nassau turned us away. Either or, it was disappointed and another day spent on the ship. Everyone was starting to get cabin fever.

Our 3rd stop, Freeport Bahamas, finally a nice day. We didn't plan anything for this port as I was told it was easy to get off the ship and grab a taxi to Port Lucaya for shopping and the beach. Carnival also added an hour to our schedule here since we missed Nassau. I would recommend Port Lucaya. We went to the shops first and then hit the beach. The water was still a little rough from the tropical weather but we spent an hour swimming and then sat on the beach for a while. We notice a company on the beach doing Banana Boat rides and decided to try it and were glad we did. They charged us $25 per person but larger groups of 4 or more got better deals. We were out for about 1 1/2 hours and saw dolphins, the pirate ship used in the Pirates of the Carribean (they allowed you to go on the ship at your own rick and jump off into the water), and a bunch of million dollar homes.

Back to the boat for 2 sea days home. We did get to do the pool and water slide on the first sea day , although it was getting colder and didn't stay out much more then 3:00 p.m. After that the inside pool was the only one you could use and the hot tubs. The 2nd day dragged.

So for the Attention to detail. Most of the crew was pleasant. There is one outstanding bartender at the casino bar named Bagus. Make sure you see him. The MDR staff were very nice but never remembered what you liked and seemed to take a long time. I guess we were spoiled on the Carnival Freedom. Also the Menus you see on your TV were only correct 4 out of the 8 days. When I called to let them know they delivered printed menus to my room but they were still the incorrect days. The toilet took a couple of tries to get it to flush and the shower backed up. The Casino has a horrible cigarette smell even when we first got on before people started smoking in it. I went to the sports bar and asked the bartender if they would be playing the NASCAR race on the Sunday and he said they only play football. I said is there someone we can talk to to see if they would put on the race and got a flippant response," What do you think they are going to turn the satellites just for you." A simple we "do not get the channel" would have been nice so that was the last time there.

Personally, I would not take this cruise again and not from New York even though it's convenient from were I live. I have booked another cruise on the Carnival Sunshine for next year and look forward to the top notch service that we received on the Freedom. All I can say is if you like a lot of sea days, then this could be for you. For me, it was too much. It wasn't a bad experience, just not a great experience.

Publication Date: 11/19/13