“Disappointed in HAL”

Member Since 2013
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

A very Poor experience with my first trip on Holland. I have cruised many times on other ships including Carnival, NCL, Princess and Disney and this by far was the worst experience. I will list the problems because there were so many:

1. We were promised a shipboard credit when we made the reservations and did not receive it.

2. We spent more than 6 hours (multiple visits to the shipboard front office) trying to get the credit. and still no credit

3. Our room had not been vacuumed prior to our arriving carpeting was dirty and had debris on the floor assuming it was from the prior guests

4. We did not received any ice, the bucket was full of warm melted water when we arrived-looked like it had been there from prior party. I asked for ice multiple times and the first time it took two days to get ice after that I had to ask for ice every day and was lucky if I received any-finally I just gave up.

5. Toothpaste residue on shelves in bathroom from prior party when we first got to the room.

6. Tub had sticky brown glue type substance on the bottom of the tub

7. One night, after we came back from an excursion, we had only one towel for my husband and me to share

8. Booked parasailing excursion for Half Moon Cay and I had to go to the Excursion desk to find out it was cancelled. Somebody should have notified us so we could have scheduled another excursion.

9. One evening at approximately 7:00 (we had an 8:00 dinner seating) as I had just come out of the shower and was beginning to dress and the Room steward walked into the room without even knocking. My husband who was sitting on the bed yelled at him to get out.

10. Room refrigerator did not cool it was warm

11. I purchased a beverage card. I tried to use it the first time and it was empty so I had to go to the desk and get it fixed, Used it again and they took all the money off of it. I told the server that was an error and they put some money back on and they then came back and said they put the wrong amount on it. I knew the beverage card was in error and just gave up trying to fix it.

12. Room key did not work I was told I must have placed it near a cell phone-which I did not carry.

13. Many of the bathrooms did not work-especially the men's bathroom by the third floor dining. The urinal was overflowing-disgusting. We would walk by other bathrooms and there were signs up "out of order"

14. At dinner the beef menu items were terrible. We would ask for medium rare and get well done and tough. Finally we stopped ordering any beef.

15. On disembarkation we were set for leaving at 8:45 to 9:15. We woke up very early due to a room steward knocking on the door wanting to strip the bed. Then he wanted to take the towels and we had not even showered at that time. Then they came back to check the bathroom, again to strip the bed and again to get towels, they then came in and dropped off a gift for the next party.

16. The ship needs maintenance-basic items painting, working elevators, air conditioning that didn't work and toilets that were broken.

17. Some places on the ship were hot and others were freezing the temperature was inconsistent throughout the ship. I have cruised in the Caribbean in the past and did not experience this issue.

On the positive side there were two photographers who did an excellent job - Marissa and Fiona. They were positive, delightful and did a great job.

Also, our two dining room staff people were great. We sat at table 48 and thoroughly enjoyed our time with Miguel and Buda. They made our dinner time fun and they did a fabulous job.

Zuiderdam Cruises to the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

The cabin was small and could not open the bathroom door if the closet door was open. In fact one time the I was in the bathroom and my husband had the closet door open and I could not get out of the bathroom
Published 11/18/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Zuiderdam Review
Zuiderdam Cruises to the Panama Canal & Central America
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?