Carnival Dream Cruise Review by mattie10: Wonderful Cruise, but a little disappointed

mattie10
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful Cruise, but a little disappointed

Sail Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

The Dream is a beautiful ship, but I expected it to be better than the older ships that we have sailed on. This was not the case. It was just bigger, not necessarily better.

Embarkment went fairly smoothly considering all the people. We arrived early because of our flight and I was glad that they had already started the boarding process. We were on board and enjoying lunch in good time. I was nervous about sailing with so many people (we have sailed on smaller ships in the past), but my first impression was ok. We experienced the usual "everyone trying to figure out where they are going" but as the week progressed, the crowds dispersed into the normal flow.

We were disappointed in the service. I have always bragged about the excellent service we have always received with Carnival. This cruise was the exception. Thank goodness we didn't purchase the soda card, because we would not have gotten our money worth because we didn't see servers very often. We sat at the pool More all day on sea days and were maybe asked twice. During the shows in the theater, not at all. I really don't feel like going into how bad our Dining Room service was. Every night they were turning the lights up before we were even served dessert. Other than that, we enjoyed the food, thought the shows were good (especially their new show called "Dancing in the Streets" which included break dancers, Awesome show not to be missed) enjoyed the comics and thought the entertainment was typical Carnival. Our cabin stewards did a fantastic job. I have always said that each person determines how much fun they have, so we decided to have a fantastic time, despite the lower quality of service. The ports were great and Carnival did a great job at each port with the debarking (even at Belize where we had to tender) By the way, do not miss the pasta bar. It is on the 11th deck, above the Lido dining towards the back of the ship. They only serve lunch. We almost missed it because they don't advertise it at all.

We really hit the mark on our excursions on this cruise as well. We are very active and really enjoyed our trips off ship (refer to my port reviews) We always do the self assist for disembarking and this went very smooth as well, except, don't go down when they call. You will just stand in line waiting for the Silver and Platinum guests to get off. They called for self assist at 7:00 am and we went down at 8:00. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Snorkeling

(5)

Swimming with the sharks and Rays. It was a very nice day away from the city. We road out to a smaller island "Cay Caulker" and enjoyed a day of swimming, snorkeling and having lunch on this nice quiet island.

Beach Break

Steve Uhl is the owner. You can go online to reserve a free lounge chair. Once you get there, your chair is waiting for you and they wait on you hand and foot for very reasonable prices. This was probably the best day. Steve even set up a scuba tour for me. I am not certified and have never been scuba diving. It was FANTASTIC. We met people there that plan their cruises around being able to stop here.

Amazing River & Cavern Explore

We were going to do the cave tubing in Belize, but decided on this instead. This is a great tour. It is very natural, not commercialized. We were so close to all the formations, There were places to walk through, almost crawl through, and swim through. We really enjoyed the beauty. The only negative was the travel time to and from. It took approximately 1 3/4 hours each way. Make sure to do this through the cruise ship and not privately. We were an hour late getting back. Do not do this tour if you have any health issues or have trouble walking. There was and older lady with us that was in a wheel chair the rest of the cruise because she hurt her foot.

Snorkeling

I found "Roger Cat-Cruises" thanks to reviews. What a wonderful day on the water. Sailing and snorkeling. Roger took us out even though it was just us (he usually won't take less than 6) He gives you a tour of the beautiful West End and good snorkeling areas.