Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by wichitastatecruiser: Halloween Oasis cruise: A little over rated

wichitastatecruiser
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Halloween Oasis cruise: A little over rated

Sail Date: October 2013

I sailed on the Oasis with a Travel Agency to celebrate Halloween. I booked the cruise back in February and got a Central Park balcony for the low price of $1890 traveling by myself. My Parents and sister had already sailed the Oasis so I came into it expecting big things, especially since my only previous cruise was on a Carnival ship.

The ship: Oasis is a big ship with lots to do an see. This is both a pro and a con. The pro's is that there are lots of options when it comes to food and entertainment. The con is that the ship is so big that unless your an explorer you probably won't find all the nooks and crannies and there will be some things that you wanted to do that you will miss.

My room: I had a Central Park balcony, 14209, mid ship. This was not the ideal location as there are only two elevator banks on the ship, one forward and one aft. This means that if you get a mid ship cabin that there will be lots of walking. My suggestion would be to get a forward More cabin if possible as everything but the dining, Boardwalk, Dazzles, and a few other things are forward. If your a balcony lover I suggest doing a Boardwalk or ocean view. Central Park is good for people watching but you wont be able to tell your at sea. There were complaints about noise on both interior balcony locations. In Central Park noise came down from the pool deck, but you could only hear it on the balcony, on the Boardwalk I heard people complain about people yelling on the zip line.

Activities: If you can pre book your shows. The comedy club is adults only and small, it seemed that the comedian had more material the longer we were on the cruise, also the show depends on who is in the audience. The ice show is a must sea and the aqua show had its moments but I didn't see the big deal about it. There were also parades in the Promenade and Dream Works characters walking around. It made me crack a smile when I saw Shrek, Puss in Boots or Penguins wondering the ship. There are also lots of options for night life. Dazzles night club seemed to target the older crowd, Blaze the younger. There is also a Jazz club, a Latin club, Sports Bar, English Pub and lots of other bars scattering the ship. Then there are the pools and hot tubs. There is an "adults" only area and the one thing that I like about this ship is that they always leave at least one hot tub open no matter what time it is. Also check out the often forgotten about sun deck on deck 14 forward (its accessible on the port side) not to mention the "secret balconies" aft of the ship on deck 14, 12 and 11.

Dining: The food is better on Carnival I think. I ate dinner every night in the Opus. I rotated lunch and ate at the Promenade Café, Central Park Café, Giovanni's, and Wind Jammer. I concur with the reviews that somehow the Wind Jammer had the best food. I ate breakfast almost every morning at Johnny Rockets which has free breakfast and decent French Toast.

Ports: We did ship excursions at every port. On Haiti we did the Adults only Sandbar. I think it was worth the money, wish we had more time out there and some people complained that we only got one free rum punch. Jamaica I went zip lining, which was a good time, but the better thing was that the store there gave me a GREAT deal on the Appleton rum, I got a big 750 Ml and 2 flasks of it for only $24! In Cozumel we did Itza. To get to the main land you have to take a 30 minute ferry ride which might be bad if your easily sea sick, then its a 3 hour bus drive to the ruins but in my opinion it was worth it. They do give you a sack lunch, water and a pop on the trip.

Cabin: Was your basic cabin. I like the Carnival room set up slightly better with the TV in front of the bed. Royal has better balconies with a table on the balcony, Royal also score points for the shower that doesn't flood.

Service: Good service. Attendant room steward, waiters will know your order tendencies with 2 days.

Cons:

Now for what I didn't like!

The ship is big. Lots of walking and the elevator management system needs some work. there are 6 elevators on each bank and 4 banks. You would sometimes wait 5 minutes for a elevator only to have a full one stop, meanwhile 2-3 elevators in the same bank would seem to be on the same floor the entire time!

Staggered closing times and forced night life, Royal staggers the closing time for clubs and bard from aft to forward so you could be having a good time and Dazzles could be full, then suddenly they will close it down forcing you to another club, or to your room. Blaze the younger demographic club stayed open to 3-4 am. Also on some nights when they had a ship centered event they would close some of the clubs so if you wanted to go dancing you were forced to go to that event only. My girlfriend complained of the small selection for karaoke, and when they did do open karaoke they would only do an hour no matter how many people were signed up.

Security. Sometimes this is a good thing but Oasis is covered in cameras, cameras, cameras. Keep this in mind if your in the hot tubs at wee hours with your significant other. There is very few areas out of the eye of Big Brother. Also Royal Security is VERY sexist. I saw many men get cut off or put on "house" arrest for drinking too much the a little later see a cute, sexy dressed woman even more drunk and the staff running around accommodating her drunken demands. I also saw at least one ship crew member negotiating a drug deal with a female passenger and a crew member taking a female passenger into the crew only area. I guess those security cameras are only there to make sure that guests don't get out of control not the crew.

Overall I did have a good time. Besides the shows I don't think I will go on a Oasis class ship again as its just a little too big. I will probably sail a smaller Royal ship in the future to compare it more adequately to Carnival. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>