Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by justubean

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by justubean
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: justubean
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Dining 5+

Eastern and Western

We sailed on Freedom for two weeks in October. If I'm honest it wasn't the best RCCL ship we've sailed on. The crew in the main were fine. Our stateroom attendant was the star of the ship. Nothing was too much trouble, from an extra towel to the odd early morning call. One member of staff who did get on my nerves was the cruise director Richard Spacey. How he can think that acting like he did is funny is beyond me. Walking up to the cantilever spa fully clothed in a suit and tie and climbing in to be videoed is far from funny. But I suppose different people have different senses of humor.

The entertainment wasn't up too much I'm afraid. The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers done some great shows but on other ships we sailed on had act's which would leave another ship to join our to preform. Beatles tribute, Elton John tribute and comedians to name a few. We didn't see a professional act whilst we were ther and the ships staff do it weekly, so what went on the first week went on the second week. The one professional act advertised in the cruise compass ( Nathan Osmond, nephew of Donny) didn't show up. Even on a sea day!

We done two 7 night cruises back to back and at the end of the first week we were required to leave the ship and go through customs to re board. It took all in all around 20 minutes, but this is where our trouble started. We were issued, as were the rest of the consecutive cruisers our new sea pass cards and boarded the ship before the rest of the new people arrived and so had the pool in the solarium pretty much to ourselves. On purchasing a couple of beers it became apparent that my wife's card was not working and the check had to be written manually, this went on throughout the evening with both hers and mine cards not being accepted electronically.

When went to bed there was a message for us to attend guest services in the morning as a matter of urgency. It transpired that reason that the card was not working was because the ship had no record of us re boarding and it was only when we were trying to buy stuff that this flagged up. We were promised that they would get to the bottom of the problem but by the end of the week had heard nothing until I stopped the guest services manager while he walked down the promenade. He chatted to us if he couldn't really remember anything he had said to us on the Monday before given how serious and important it seemed to him then. Not a very professional attitude I think.

Embarkation at the end of the cruise went well for us, but for another couple in our party (there were 3 couples) it wasn't so smooth. For some reason, I think it was because of the problem earlier in the week my wife and I were sent off the ship a little earlier than the rest of our party.

My wife and I collected our cases after doing the normal custom type things and went to wait outside for the others.

We waited, and waited, and waited.

Why? because one of them had a case missing, and they still don't have it now. Yes it was lost, and from what I can gather there was a type of shoulder hugging attitude adopted by the cruise port terminal staff. Again not quite the professional attitude we've come to expect from Royal Caribbean. The missing luggage has been found and we are told it's on the way home.

All in All we had a great time although I don't expect we'll chose to sail on Freedom again, Royal Caribbean however, defiantly as we hope that the above was us just being unlucky.

Publication Date: 11/17/13