Oceana Cruise Review by mika6617: What's up with P&O

What's up with P&O

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

Just returned from a Med cruise on board Oceana for 12 nights, and although overall time had was good it wasn't great.

Having cruised with P&O in the past and other cruise lines such as Disney, Ocean Village and RCL I had expected good things from Oceana instead what I did get was below par food and abysmal daytime entertainment.

I have read other reviews regarding this ship and its staff and can't quite belief some of them being so positive, all I can think of is that they may be first time cruisers and as such do not know what to expect.

Regarding the staff on board...the waiter staff cannot wait to remove your plate once it has been finished regardless if anyone else is finished or not even if it means reaching over your head to pick it up. Further more when these said waiters smell of BO its a little off putting to say the least.

The service seems to have gone right down hill, I wouldn't expect this level in Macdonalds let alone on a cruise More ship.

The food was way below what you have come to expect from such an established cruise company.

Certain foods were either under cooked or well overcooked and tasted very bland.

The buffet food was awful, the kind of stuff you would expect at your local working mens club would have tasted better.

The buffet was badly organised and resulted in a free for all.

Food wise, the worst I have ever eaten on board a cruise ship. Needs greatly improving!

The choice of eateries outside around the pool was limited to a Burger bar and the dreaded buffet, no Pizza bar. no Sandwich bar no nothing....poor!

As far as entertainment during the day...typical P&O standard in that if you don't fall in the 60 to 80 age bracket there is little to do on sea days when the sun isn't out.

Other cruise line cater for all ages so why can'y P&O (I'm 45 and there is nothing for me to do other than make my own entertainment)

Night time was much better mostly down to the 80's theme (Genre not age group) which was the main reason I booked this cruise, acts such as Heaven 17 and Howard Jones were excellent although why P&O employed Paul Young who has lost the ability to sing puzzles me, yet another mistake!

The Freddie Mercury tribute act was good (seen him on other ships)

The Girl doing the Annie Lennox stint was uncomfortable to watch, it was just weird and didn't actually sound like Annie Lennox which begs the question.

The ports of call were very good weather permitting especially Gibraltar as I expected having been before.

Although the ship itself isn't the smallest in the industry it didn't really cope well with the sea other then when it was a mill pond, whether this is down to its smaller size or just by design I don't know although I have traveled on worse seas on only slightly larger ships without half the movement on Oceana.

Even though my review has been very negative, I did have a good time believe it or not, however this was down to the fact I was with my lovely wife and met some nice people.

Would I cruise on board this ship again? not in a million years!

Would I recommend it to any of my friends ...NO it wouldn't be fair, unless all they want to do is either read a book or join in something very outdated.

I would probably always recommend one of the American run cruise lines based on quality of food and entertainment, although it does pain me to say that considering I'm British and wished I didn't have to as it doesn't seem fair but until P&O step out of the 19th century and enter the 21st century where a more wider spectrum of people take cruises then they will always remain the same staid tired cruise experience. Less

Read more Oceana cruise reviews >>