Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by jc24cruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by jc24cruiser
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: jc24cruiser
Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Amazing experience, got 2 more booked

Background Info

I had cruised a couple of times before, but this was my partner's first cruise....and in fact our first holiday abroad together.

We flew out to Barcelona the day before (which was my birthday) and stayed in a hotel on Las Ramblas. We went out for dinner that night and had a great nights sleep after travelling. We walked with our suitcases down Las Ramblas before getting a bus to the cruise port.

The embarkation was ok, we did not queue for as long as I expected, however it was not very well sign posted as to which queue to be in and people were happily pushing ahead of those that waited nicely.

Our cabin was amazing, we had a port side balcony on the middle hump. It was clean and had lots of space and storage. We did not see our room attendant much but they did a great job and after requesting ice once, they made sure I had a steady supply through out the cruise.

Windjammer

I remember the windjammer from previous cruises and love the atmosphere in there. I enjoyed the variety of food on offer. I would have liked more variety on soft drinks though, but that was down to personal taste. The staff were attentive, polite and hard working. There were a few times that we had to walk around for ages before a table became available, so naturally sometimes our food was colder than I would have liked. We generally got food together and then found a table afterwards but then saved the table for each other when going up a second time. I know others save tables when they walk in, each to their own.

Main Dining Room

We went for My Time Dining and it suited us well. We booked the table day by day and there was only one occasion when we arrived and had to wait but we were given a buzzer so that we could go to the bar and wait there instead which was great. Each night we requested the same waiter and assistant waiter because when I had previously cruised there wasn't My Time Dining and you sat on the same table with the same waiter each night which appealed to us. We were not wrong as Louie and his assistant recognised us each night, remembered everything about us and asked about things we had mentioned we would be doing. They also remembered our favourite drinks and any meals which we liked. I think that was something I loved about previous cruises so I am pleased we did it that way.

We generally got quite dressed up each evening and went all the way on the formal night. There were others that were less dressed up and it didn't bother us either way. We don't get to go out for meals very often, so enjoyed getting dressed up and enjoyed the fine dining!

Johnny Rockets

Absolutely LOVED Johnny Rockets, the service was fantastic and the food was brilliant, though more than my belly could manage! I loved the jukebox and the "Dirty Dancing" style music!

We got off the ship every day so I am not sure what the day time activities are like. We loved most of the evening shows especially the Ice Show and the Hairspray production. There were a couple of other shows that did not really bother us, but again that was down to personal taste.

Unfortunately we only did about 10% of what the ship had to offer :( The Promenade was lovely, we went to one of the shopping sales which was a case of sifting through for some deals. We did the Cupcake Cupboard class and made a lovely burger and chips from 3 scrummy cupcakes, it was brilliant and broke up the day at sea. We didn't do....ice skating, rock climbing wall, surf simulator, crazy golf or even swimming/hot tubs. I actually felt quite guilty of boarding the Liberty of the Seas and not taking advantage of all the amazing activities. It was not down to do with RCI, it was because my partner and I run our own business and had run ourselves into the ground before going away so was just too exhausted to do anything....so slept a lot or lounged on our balcony.

Disembarkation

The only bad thing about it....was that it had to happen. I remember sitting in the Windjammer that morning and was very upset to be leaving! We took our luggage off ourselves and was expecting massive queues and not being able to use the lifts as previous reviews had warned of. But it was all quite simple and we were off the ship fairly early. We spent a few hours in Barcelona before heading to the airport for our flight home.

Summary

Was an amazing experience, loved every minute and we are very thankful to all the hard working staff that allowed us to have such a great time. We are now booked on 2 more cruises and can't wait to get even more booked!!!

Publication Date: 11/17/13